Problem with Multi Lingual Data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

memrinal
Participant

Problem with Multi Lingual Data

Post by memrinal »

Hi All,

we have a set of DS jobs which which are being used for English countries.
There was a need to support Western European character set. So the Project level NLS setting was made ISO-8859-1.

Now we need to use the same jobs for Multi lingual countries like Japan, Korea Taiwan etc.

We want that both the english and ML countries should be run from the same project.

What are changes required if we want the folllowing from the same set of jobs on the same project.
  • Run with normal English Data
  • Run with western european data
  • Run with ML data
Thanks in Advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can set the NLS maps and locales in job properties to override the project default that was set in the Administrator client. I believe that they can be job parameter references (at least the map names).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
memrinal
Participant

Post by memrinal »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the input.

The Japanese data that we are getting is with UTF - Encoding.
What is the NLS map that should be used in this case.

We also want that the same project to be used for normal english/western european dat also.

In that case what should be NLS setting defaulted to for UTF -8 encoded Japanese data.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Last time I looked there were some 14 different encodings of Japanese used in industry, that's before you count shift-in/shift-out for switching encodings mid-stream.

The only answer I can give you, therefore, is "the right one". Most times the customer has no idea how their data are encoded.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.