Performance issue with SQL Inserts

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shaimil
Charter Member
Charter Member

Performance issue with SQL Inserts

Post by shaimil »

I have a set of jobs that each insert records into a SQL Server 2000 db. I'm finding that some jobs insert at rates of around 800 rows/sec wheras others do as few as 25 rows/sec.

The main differences between the jobs seems to be the number of tables/connections that the jobs make (ie the number of concurrent insert connections)

Jobs with 1 or 2 connections seem to run far quicker than those with 4 and 8 connections.

Does anyone know wether, firstly this is normal and secondly whether there are any tweeks I should be maiking to SQL Server to better manage multiple connections from a single job.

Alternatively, is 8 db connections in a single job just a bad idea.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Regards
Shay
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

I think 25 recs/sec is not normal. You can check few things.

First of all, what stage are you using? Are you using ODBC or any other stage? What is the length of the record and what is the commit interval for each insert job.

I do not understand that you have mentioned no of tables in the job. Are you joining with other tables? What is number of connections? Are you referring no of insert tables in SQL server db? If yes, You need to consider the available resources in the SQL server when you concurrently call the multiple jobs, which do inserting into the tables.

ITWH.

Regards
Saravanan
satish_valavala
Participant

Post by satish_valavala »

Hi Shay,
What do you mean "The number of tables/connections that the jobs make".
Suppose if you want to look-up on 10 tables, take one ODBC stage(One instance) and write your SQLs in diffrent SQL tabs of 10 different links to Transformer( ODBC ---->Transformer).
If you elaborate your job designs like how many ODBC stages you are using per job and for what purpose Eg:- Source,Look-up and Target etc., then people can help better.
Regards
VS
shaimil
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shaimil »

Sorry, let me expand.

I have a single input stream inserting into multiple tables on SQL server. The commit level is set to 0 and the record lengths vary depending on the jobs, but all seem to follow the same degradation of performance path.

I have been told that it may be the way the box is configured. It has been set up as Windows 2003 Server using RAID 5. Is it true that RAID 5 could be slowing down the writes.

Thanks
Shay
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

Palmeal wrote
Raid 5 is not the best storage set up for writing - Raid 0 + 1 would be the best set up. Are your files spread around the disks or are the controllers trying to access the same disks at the same time. Again Raid 0 + 1 will randomise this and reduce disk contention.
The rest of the post is here:
viewtopic.php?t=92464&start=0&postdays= ... erformance

Regards,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
arbert
Participant

Post by arbert »

shaimil wrote:Sorry, let me expand.

I have a single input stream inserting into multiple tables on SQL server. The commit level is set to 0 and the record lengths vary depending on the jobs, but all seem to follow the same degradation of performance path.

I have been told that it may be the way the box is configured. It has been set up as Windows 2003 Server using RAID 5. Is it true that RAID 5 could be slowing down the writes.

Thanks
Shay
Raid 5 can make a BIG difference. Also, putting your LDF and MDF files on different drives/raid groups will make a HUGE difference. If they are on the same drives/raid groups, the log and data files will compete for IO.

Also, your commit level shouldn't be 0. This basically creates one large transaction and commits at the end of the entire load--I would set it at least at 1000--the actual number really depends on the width of your row and the number or records.

Brett
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Someone also need to make the point that 800 rows/sec and 25 rows/sec can represent exactly the same performance in terms of volume/time.

800 25-byte rows and 25 800-byte rows contain exactly the same volume of data.

Please don't rely on rows/sec as a measure between jobs unless you are totally certain that row size is identical.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.