Player 7 error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jayantthakore
Participant

Player 7 error

Post by jayantthakore »

Hii,
I am getting an error while executing my DS job .
It looks like
Player 7 terminated.
Wat kind of error is this.
Is it due to config file or its a limitation of DS.
Please help me guys

Jayant
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

This tells you the job has been terminated.

Without a description of what you are doing and more information about the problem I don't expect you'll find the answer your looking for.
jayantthakore
Participant

Post by jayantthakore »

Eric,

But why the job is terminating.
Is it an error.
I m running the job .Sometime it give player 7 terminated.
Some times player 5 terminates.
Is it due to time lag.
my job approx. takes 30 minutes to load the database.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Jayantthakore,

You really will need to tell us more - just by stating that player <n> is sporadically being terminated is not going to help anyone localize the issue. Have you looked at any of the log files or error messages? What does the job do? How many nodes do you have configured? It might not be timing, but disk problems (device full, perhaps)...
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

Hi,

In order to try and find a solution to your error, more information is needed.

Like Eric said
Without a description of what you are doing and more information about the problem I don't expect you'll find the answer your looking for.
Regards,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
SriKara
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SriKara »

Hi,

I had a similar experience few months back.
While running the sequencers, some of the jobs would abort with "Player <n> terminated" error.

This is what we figured out subsequently..
1. A player terminated error merely indicates that the process associated with the job has been prematurely killed for some reason.
2. This doesnot indicate any errors in the job code as such.
3. When we tried to run fewer jobs on the server all of them finished successfully. Only when we tried to run huge load jobs which would eat up more system resources, this error would appear.
------
So the corrections we made were
1. try not to put too many active stages in one single job which would create more processes.
2. try not to run too many jobs in parallel.

when we implemented these two rules, we hardly got the error.
Another observation is, we used to get the player terminated error only in the development machine and never got the error on the Production servers which were of more capacity.

I tried to list out my experiences with the player terminated error so that you may get any clue out of it. As such we too didnot have any specific reason/solution for this error.

Cheers.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage parallel jobs use an architecture that uses an orchestra as its metaphore. There is one "conductor" process, which manages overall co-ordination and writes to the job log. On each processing node there is a "section leader" process, which manages communication upwards and downwards, and controls as many "player" processes as required.
To figure out which is Player 7 you will need to inspect the generated OSH script (in the job properties dialog, though it must have been enabled from the Adminsitrator). Nearby events in the job log may also shed some light on the cause of a process terminating. So might resetting the job after it's aborted, and looking for a "from previous run..." message.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jayantthakore
Participant

Post by jayantthakore »

Thanks Sri,
I guess this is the problem..
we are having three lookup to be done and then two transformations and then the DB2 tables is loaded.
More over the input file is also above 10,000 rows.......