Converting Fixed width flat files to ASCII format

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

studyguy2001
Participant

Converting Fixed width flat files to ASCII format

Post by studyguy2001 »

hello.,

i am working on DS v. 7.5 . source is mainframe. format is fixed width flat files. i am trying to convert the flat files into ASCII format.
i kindly request can someone please give me some ideas how i convert into ASCII format.this is very urgent.

thank you,
mark
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Mark,

(as has been stated before, there is no such thing as an urgent request in this forum)

Your mainframe files are EBCDIC, so the first step is to convert them to ASCII. Usually when you get files from the host you will use FTP, which can be configured to automatically do this conversion; or you can do a binary transfer and do this conversion directly from the DataStageg job.

If the mainframe jobs contain COMP-3 fields you will need to use a binary transfer so that the values in those columns are not converted (and thus destroyed).

You specified you are using PX, the sequential stage itself lets you, in the string definition section, specify that such fields should be converted from EBCDIC to ASCII.