NotNull IsNull

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds_is_fun
Premium Member
Premium Member

NotNull IsNull

Post by ds_is_fun »

Not Nulls
I have a situation where some columns coming in after a lookup against lookup filesets are Nullable = 'Y'. The current business logic does'nt help much to default them to a specific value implicitly if NULL. Rather, it performs a check greater then or + or lesser than for certain values on those columns.
If I use the NotNull(column) and perform those checks, would it help to get rid of the WARNING message on those columns and avoid possible termination? Instead of If IsNull(col1) then "NA" Else <expr1>
Thanks!
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
AFAIK, The only,proper, way to eliminate no null handling warnings is to add null handling.
(The other way of message handlers is not my cup of tea in this case)

Simply add the modify stage and handle_null(Field,Replacement) for the null-able columns.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or, if you happen to be using a Transformer stage, you can do it in there. There are half a dozen null-handling functions that appear when you choose this branch from the Functions > Null Handling branch of the expression editor operand menu.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.