Use of the following commands

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Use of the following commands

Post by vinodlakshmanan »

Hi,
I was browsing through the $DSHOME/bin directory and found a few DataStage executables. I am wary to try them out before knowing actually what they do. Can someone please explain the significance of the following commands:
dspipe, dsapi_server, dsapi_slave, dsdlockd, dslictool, dsrpcd, dstskup
Integrity is what you do when no one is watching
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You are correct not to try them out; they are, for the most part, not functional when called at the user level and you certainly don't need to utilize any of them. If you really wish to know how the underlying DS (or UniVerse) system functions, you can start by downloading and reading the documentation found at IBM UniVerse Documentation, the UniVerse System Description guide would make a good starting point.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You won't, of course, find any information about the ds... executables in UniVerse documentation, though there are uv... equivalents for some of them.

dsrpcd is the DataStage RPC daemon, that listens for connection requests from DataStage clients and instantiates the dscs (DataStage common server) for each.

dsapi_server is the executable for the dscs (this mapping can be seen in the dsprcservices file). Each connected DataStage client has one instance of dsapi_server as its "agent process", that maintains the connection from the server end (for example monitoring the inactivity timeout).

When some work needs to be done on behalf of the connected client, dsapi_server forks a dsapi_slave process to do that work.

dsdlockd is the deadlock daemon, which can be configured to run or not to run, in dsdlockd.config file. It's primary task is to check for deadlocks (which are rare) in the DataStage repository database, but it also has a secondary task of cleaning up after defunct processes.

dspipe is a fairly self-explanatory name; it is an executable that manages named pipes for DataStage (for example, creating and deleting them in a manner appropriate for the operating system).

All the above is from memory, since I don't currently have access to a DataStage machine. I can't remember, however, what dstskup does. :oops:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

After such an exhaustive post by Ray, the least I could do is post what the dstskup does - but I can't read it on my UNIX box (only root can), it doesn't exist on Windoze and I can't find reference to it in the system... Now my curiousity is piqued as well.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ArndW wrote:After such an exhaustive post by Ray
Affectionately known here as a 'Full Wurlod'. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig,

I though international treaties had forbidden unsanctioned use of the full-Wurlod; and that even the Half-Wurlod could be lethal when improperly used and interpreted :) I wish I had root access to see what's inside that insidious dstskup program - it's rather small.. perhaps a script...
vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Another query actually... why do we have to restart the DataStage server after re-indexing or cleaning up projects? Will there be any serious impact if we do not restart the server?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't recall having to do that. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no need to restart DataStage after cleaning up a project or reindexing. Where did you obtain this assertion?

It is, however, necessary to restart DataStage if you make changes to the configuration parameters in the uvconfig file. It's also necessary to restart DataStage so that it picks up any changes you might make in the dsenv script (UNIX-based servers only).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Well, I find ppl working with me doing it, so I asked. Thanks for the info.