Importing Columns...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Adam_Clone
Participant

Importing Columns...

Post by Adam_Clone »

Hi
I'm having a problem with the Import Column Stage. When I import data from a sequential file with one of the columns being binary, to a varchar or char column in the output, I'm getting unintelligible text. I'm able to view the output link data, but the imported column contains junk data.
The initial input file was generated using Row Generator with meta data defining the column as of type 'binary.'
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Adam,

binary data is exactly that... chances are bit over 50% that when viewed as a CHAR or VARCHAR you will get undisplayable characters. DataStage cannot know what type of binary information it has and therefore there is no conversion possible.

What kind of data in the binary column do you wish to store and conversely have displayed?
Adam_Clone
Participant

I got that.....

Post by Adam_Clone »

Hi Arnd..
Actually I wanted some characters...
Of course, now I understand the stupidity I'd asked....Of course when I specified binary data to be generated, to the row generator the data generated is simply binary, fully randon of course...That, I accept was a stupid question....sorry.
I dunno why I was expecting charactes to be displayed.....heh !
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Adam_Clone,

no problem, often by asking a question and forumulating (sic.) the problem you get an answer :P