COBOL compilers...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Adam_Clone
Participant

COBOL compilers...

Post by Adam_Clone »

What does COBOL compilers have to do with mainframe jobs ?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Adam, the executable jobs on the mainframe are from generated COBOL source programs; hence the need for a CBL compiler
Adam_Clone
Participant

on the mainframe, eh ?

Post by Adam_Clone »

hi Arnd
Actually wot i wanted 2 know was....why a mainframe job in the first place. I got to know that mainframe job was one of the the three types(Parallel, Server and Mainframe jobs). Is it that these jobs are designed and run on a mainframe? and not on other systems ? I think I got the picture.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Adam_Clone,

The three types of jobs you mentioned, Server / Parallel / Mainframe, were all at one time separate products which have been integrated under the common look-and-feel of DataStage. The underlying technologies remain distinct; Mainframe jobs not only generate COBOL code but the requisite JCL and database connectivity as well. Parallel Extender utilizes generated C code whereas Server uses generated UV/Basic code. None of these three types of jobs are interchangeable.