Char data type not accepting "0" from table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Char data type not accepting "0" from table

Post by vinaymanchinila »

hi,
I am extracting from Oracle 9.1 and loading SAP BW. One of the field is Char and the values are alpha numeric. My issue is DataStage is replacing zero with "?" . Doesnt DataStage accept "0"s in Char when extracting from tables.
Any idea would be apreciated!.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage does not have any problem with the character "0". I'd guess that you don't have this in your data. Use a hex editor to determine exactly what you do have. The ASCII code for "0" is 48 (which is 0x30).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vinaymanchinila »

It is not a "0" it is German characters and symbols. Did try all the options in the NLS map list.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vinay,

the conversion might be working correctly but the ds view-data doesn't support nls on display and might be showing it incorrectly. Chances are high that the data is going into the Db correctly. Do you have an NLS project and if so, what are your in and out character sets. Are you writing to SAP via Idocs? Sequential files? BAPI?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vinay,

what are you using to look at the file? If you can open up another file of the same type (i.e. .txt) with the same tool and see words with umlaut then you have a conversion issue; but 9 times out of 10 the problem is not in the data but in the display method. I am an old-timer, so in cases like this I will almost always use the DataStage editor, since in the up-arrow mode it will show me the octal values of undisplayable characters.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

what is datastage editor ?where can you see NLS settings ?how can we check the '0' in hexadecimal ?

Can any one please clarify me.

Thank you,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kollurianu,

from Unix or Windows one can enter the DataStage command line environment. If you search the forum I am sure you will see several posts with good descriptions; but it really isn't necessary to use this environment for most DataStage developers.
Entering commands from the Administrator essentially uses this interface; it does contain an editor that is line-oriented and quite archaic.. you enter command like p23 to print 23 lines, c/abc/234/g3 to change abc into 234 globally on 3 lines and so on. Only old dinosaurs who grew up with editors like this and still think that EMACS is the best thing since sliced bread will appreciate the ED datastage editor.

The NLS settings can be seen in several places. The uvconfig file and the NLS settings in the DataStage Administrator just to mention 2 of them.

I think that the Pfe (Programmer's file editor) in Windoze is not only shareware but performs just about any display permutation you would want.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

i open up the administrator and checked the NLS button is disabled ,

i uvconfig file too , i did find any NLS SETTINGS , how to identify the exact NLS SETTINGS FOR THE project , date formats are also set in
NLS.

can any one clarify me,

thanks alot.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you have NLS disabled then you do not have any NLS settings.

That makes life easier for you. Why are you worried about NLS settings? How did this thread drift so far from the original question? Why am I still here at the office?
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Thank you Arnd.