Difference stage issues lots of warnings.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vmcburney
Participant

Difference stage issues lots of warnings.

Post by vmcburney »

When I use the Difference stage I get three warning messages in my log for each column being compared:
Difference_1:When checking operator: Dropping component "fielda" because of prior component with same name
Difference_1:When checking operator: Dropping component "fieldb" because of prior component with same name
Difference_1:When checking operator: Dropping component "fielda" because of prior component with same name
Difference_1:When checking operator: Dropping component "fieldb" because of prior component with same name
Any way to avoid these warnings? I like using the Difference stage, it is more flexible then the Data Capture stage as it supports non matching columns, but all these warnings is breaking my 50 warning limit. This is version 7.1 so I do not have the message handler.
jasper
Participant

Post by jasper »

We had the same issue. I think the number of warnings per field is dependant on the number of parallel processes you define.

So set this stage to sequential and hope you need less then 50 fields. The only real solution we found is actually upgrading and use the messagehandler.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
this sounds like a lookup stage warnings not a difference stage :roll:
never seen such warnings from diff stage :shock:
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Hmmmmm....

I haven't used the difference stage. If you still have this problem on Monday, private message me, and I'll investigate.

Edit: You do know that you can change your warning limit defaults? I would bet that you do know that. Hope you don't have one of those clients that demands 50 warnings "just because Ascential set it that way."
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Is there something called difference stage on DS7.5 , i didnot see it in the
document . if so, what does that stage do.

Thank you all
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
In EE there is a difference stage.
taking 2, sorted hash partitioned and with same meta data, data setes resulting in a set with the diff column 0-3 indicating no-change,insert,update,delete options (EE developers guide has exact number=meaning info)
Roy R.

kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

does EE mean enterprise edition . or Does that exist on DS7.5 server editon which iam working on.

Thank you.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Enterprise Edition (EE) is a superset of Server Edition. With Server Edition you can create server jobs and job sequences. With Enterprise Edition you can create server jobs, parallel jobs and job sequences.

Enterprise Edition MVS is a superset of Enterprise Edition. With Enterprise Edition MVS you can create mainframe jobs as well.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Thank you Ray very much for ur answers.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I have sent a simple difference stage example through to Ascential support to get the final word. I am calling the job from a Sequence job so I cannot get around the 50 warning limit.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I found a message in the Orchestrate Operators Reference that did not make it into the DataStage documentation that suggests we should not use this stage:
The diff operator has been superseded by the changecapture operator. While the diff operator has been retained for backwards compatibility, Ascential recommends that you use the changecapture operator for new development.
I think Difference has a subset of the functionality of Change Data Capture. I thought it was a bit more flexible in the selection of of non value fields but closer inspection of the Orchestrate doco reveals the behaviour to be the same.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Good to know Vincent Thanks(asbout the dsiff/change capture).
Iguess that warnlimit thru sequence jobs is another one for the wish list.

:)
Roy R.

T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

I could have sworn that if you call it via the sequencer, it does pull the limits you imposed on it and carry that limit through the jobs.

At least, it doesn't abort on 50 messages for me. But then I generally turn off the warning limit on my side. I will have to investigate tomorrow.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I'd forgotten about that, the sequence job passes run time settings through to the child job, so the warning limit is passed through. The number of rows to process is also passed through for called server jobs.