warnig message in parallel extender job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

studyguy2001
Participant

warnig message in parallel extender job

Post by studyguy2001 »

hello.,

i am relatively new to DS. i am running th ejob with success but i am getting the following warning message.,

COLE_HEADER: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "In_Rec" to field "REC_DET": Implicit conversion; from source type "string" to result type "string[200]": Possible truncation of variable length string

please advice me as i am not able understand the above
thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's simply alerting you to the possibility that, because you have set a maximum string size on the output, but an arbitrary size on the input, any input string longer than 200 characters would be truncated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
studyguy2001
Participant

thanks ray

Post by studyguy2001 »

ray.wurlod wrote:It's simply alerting you to the possibility that, because you have set a maximum string size on the output, but an arbitrary size on the input, any input string longer than 200 characters would be truncated.

so what are the changes you suggest in my job so that i can avoid all those warning messages.
thanks
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Code: Select all

Left([input string], 200)
In Transformer.

Other solutions would be to ensure that your input data have that metadata defined (varchar(200)).