AIX and DB2 Support

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mee
Participant

AIX and DB2 Support

Post by mee »

Does anyone know when will parallel extender will be available as 64 bit on AIX 5.1?

Additionally, has anyone tried successfully invoking the a DB2 stored procedure in a parallel job? If so, could you pls post what are the steps needed.

Thanks in Advance.
paulhill20
Participant

Re: AIX and DB2 Support

Post by paulhill20 »

[quote="mee"]Does anyone know when will parallel extender will be available as 64 bit on AIX 5.1?

Additionally, has anyone tried successfully invoking the a DB2 stored procedure in a parallel job? If so, could you pls post what are the steps needed.

Thanks in Advance.[/quote]

Why would you want 64-bit parallel extender when the 32-bit parallel extender isn't even "stable" on AIX?
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

I don't know about a 64-bit DataStage, but the normal version should be able to run on 64-bit AIX. We are currently on DB2 7.2 and AIX 5.1, 32-bit and are upgrading to 64-bit (AIX 5.1 and DB2 8.2) next month.

As for 'not stable on AIX' as a 32-bit app, then our last year of processing hundreds of DataStage PX apps per day must have been a fluke... :P
paulhill20
Participant

Post by paulhill20 »

[quote="bcarlson"]I don't know about a 64-bit DataStage, but the normal version should be able to run on 64-bit AIX. We are currently on DB2 7.2 and AIX 5.1, 32-bit and are upgrading to 64-bit (AIX 5.1 and DB2 8.2) next month.

As for 'not stable on AIX' as a 32-bit app, then our last year of processing hundreds of DataStage PX apps per day must have been a fluke... :P[/quote]

We are utilizing 7.5.1 on AIX 5.3 and a fresh install has left me baffled; the 7.5 we tested was functional out of the box - but not this one. It appears to be an issue with APT_MONITOR_SIZE/APT_MONITOR_TIME. The release notes stipulate that there can be issues when utilizing APT_MONITOR_TIME (which has been true for all the releases seen here) so I have typically unset that parameter and set APT_MONITOR_SIZE to some decently large number. However, it appears that the code is "extremely" sensitive to not having the APT_MONITOR_TIME value set because our job streams break down at different points for no apparent reason. I'm glad your experience has been better. Is external debugging with O/S utilities the "conventional way" to debug severe issues (per your experience)?
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Perhaps I spoke (bragged?) too soon. It looks like you're one (or more?) up on us in terms of versions. We are using DS PX 7.1r2 and when we switch to 64-bit AIX, we are staying with 5.1. That probably would explain the difference in our experiences. Did you ever try any older versions (DataStage or AIX)?

Do you have the option of going back to DS 7.5, or was there a fix or new functionality in 7.5.3 that you required?

I know that we have been setting APT_IO_MAXIMUM_OUTSTANDING to about 32 MB, but don't know of any other settings that we have had to set explicitly. That var was really for handling a I/O issue between physical nodes (we have 3 physical nodes on our production system, 2 for database, 1 for applications like DataStage; the DS configs range between 16 and 32 logical nodes split between the physical nodes). I think we worked with someone named Brian Richards at Torrent / Ascential.

Not sure about the debugging. We lucked out in that we received an error message that actually mentioned the variable by name and suggested increasing the value.

Are you using a 64-bit version of AIX? If so, please post the problems you have encountered (and solutions, if available). Looks like we could be following in your footsteps.
paulhill20
Participant

Post by paulhill20 »

[quote="bcarlson"]Perhaps I spoke (bragged?) too soon. It looks like you're one (or more?) up on us in terms of versions. We are using DS PX 7.1r2 and when we switch to 64-bit AIX, we are staying with 5.1. That probably would explain the difference in our experiences. Did you ever try any older versions (DataStage or AIX)?

Do you have the option of going back to DS 7.5, or was there a fix or new functionality in 7.5.3 that you required?

I know that we have been setting APT_IO_MAXIMUM_OUTSTANDING to about 32 MB, but don't know of any other settings that we have had to set explicitly. That var was really for handling a I/O issue between physical nodes (we have 3 physical nodes on our production system, 2 for database, 1 for applications like DataStage; the DS configs range between 16 and 32 logical nodes split between the physical nodes). I think we worked with someone named Brian Richards at Torrent / Ascential.

Not sure about the debugging. We lucked out in that we received an error message that actually mentioned the variable by name and suggested increasing the value.

Are you using a 64-bit version of AIX? If so, please post the problems you have encountered (and solutions, if available). Looks like we could be following in your footsteps.[/quote]

Not a big deal; we are a TRU64 shop and it has pretty much taken care of itself in that realm (everything is 64-bit - the O/S, DataStage, etc); we did try DataStage 7.5 on AIX 5.2 and it seemed to work pretty well but we were looking to leverage the new O/S features in AIX 5.3. Most of the errors that I've seen (in both platforms) are not very specific as to the issue/problem.