Deletion of DataSet Pointers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Pavan_Yelugula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Deletion of DataSet Pointers

Post by Pavan_Yelugula »

hi all
When i am running my parallel jobs which have datasets in them. i observed that though the actually datasets which are formed are being formed at the location i want. The pointers to these datasets is being formed in

/appl/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Datasets

with naming similar to something like below
dhl_job_class.ds.dsadm.dhldev2.0000.0000.0000.c05.c3f98eac.0000.b91c5aaf

I am facing some severe space crunch on my server. can i delete these files after every run. Will my doing that someway effect the job?

It would be really helpful if someone can tell me what these files hold and if it is safe if i can delete them

Any inputs will be really helpful

Thanks and Regards
Pavan
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Pavan,

A dataset is a collection of data files and a contol file with .ds extension. If you use the rm command you remove only the control file and not the data files. Use 'orchadmin delete' command which deletes both the control file as well as the data files.

Delete the intermediate datasets in the sequencer using a routine activity stage calling ExecSH routine.

HTH
Rich
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Use the following command:

Code: Select all

$APT_ORCHHOME/bin/orchadmin delete [dataset header file]
This will delete not only the header file, but all the reference files.

You do can point those dataset files elsewhere using your APT_CONFIG_FILE configuration (Disk). See the file "man_gde.pdf", chapter 11 - "The Parallel Engine Configuration File" - for further information on this.
dsxuserrio
Participant

Post by dsxuserrio »

You need to plan the cleanup process. If you have planned to leave the datasets for some checking they can remain there till the next run. If you are not going to use them you should remove them using
orchadmin delete or orchadmin rm.
dsxuserrio

Kannan.N
Bangalore,INDIA