Problem Importing Job Definitions "objects ignored"

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jefbuckeye
Charter Member
Charter Member

Problem Importing Job Definitions "objects ignored"

Post by jefbuckeye »

I am trying to move Jobs from a temporary machine to our new production box. I export with Manager tried dsx and xml and all look well. When I do the import the jobs are not loaded into the target it gives a generic message that says 19 Job Definitions, stagetypes, .. objects ignored. Any help would be appreciated, I hate to have to rebuild the jobs manually.

Thank you,
Jeff Allen
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Jeff,

usually you get the objects ignored warning when you try to overwrite system or read-only objects; and I suspect that this is what is happening in your case. If you do a DataStage export of only your jobs and routines instead of the whole project these warning will most likely disappear.

If your own jobs are being ignored then either you have access issues on the job or something else is going wrong. Are the DataStageversions on both machines identical? Can you delete any of the jobs whose imports are unsuccessful?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi and welcome aboard :),
First you should note your platform info!
DS Versions and OS involved.

how was the export done? (step by step including user used)
how was the import done? (did you use the same client?, was any upgrade involved?)
which users are involved on which machine?
do those users have permitions (or what permitions od theyhave) to perform the tasks?
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Arand is correct. The types you mentioned are generally stuff that are provided by default per installation.

You did not have to extract EVERYTHING. You can just extract the job design if you are willing to recompile on the production code, or include the job executables. That's all you really need to do.

Oh yeah, click on Options, and make sure you check all the options within "Include in export". That will include the extra libraries you may have created.
jefbuckeye
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jefbuckeye »

Thank you all for your feedback. The problem has been identified. Our install was performed incorrectly on the new server. When the Server was installed the Authorization code for Enterprise was entered in both the Enterprise and Server boxes. There was no error about invalid license codes as you would expect, instead the install just proceeded without warning and simply did not install Server, performed an Enterprise only installation instead. I have contacted Ascential support and they promptly opened an engineering ticket to add a warning message to at least warn that the Server code should be different than the enterprise code.

Thanks again to all who answered.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You can install just PX without Server installed or licensed. It sure works funny, you have Sequence jobs, but no Server jobs. Under the covers they are the same thing. You can have DS BASIC functions, just no Server jobs. When you do the import into that situation, the Server jobs drop away and you just get a message at the end telling you some objects were not imported.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle