problem with big integer values

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dswizard
Participant

problem with big integer values

Post by dswizard »

Hello all

I have a column A in an Oracle table with datatype Number(10). When I import the table definition into one of my datastage jobs, this column A is getting imported as BigInt type and is not accomodating values greater than 2147483647. But I have values greater than this value in database which are seen as 2147483647 when I try to view data in the designer. I tried changing datatypes to Char,varchar,decimal,numeric etc etc but no luck there.Same thing when done in server canvas, column A is getting imported as Decimal and there is no problem there. Any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks
KP
donlank
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by donlank »

Are you using an Oracle Stage? Or Are you looking at the data after you landed it to Disk and viewing it with a DataSet/Sequential File, etc.?

Thanks,
Kevin
dswizard
Participant

Post by dswizard »

Kevin

Actually both !! I tried to view data from Oracle stage and I ran a sample job and dumped the data into a sequential file.In both the cases I see the same magic number.
donlank
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by donlank »

When preforming the view data and landing from the database, you have tried setting the SQL Type as a Decimal Everywhere and it still views it as a BigInt and lands as BigInt?

I assume, when you run a SQL statement outside of Datastage, you dont get the magic number for those rows?

Thanks,
Kevin
dswizard
Participant

Post by dswizard »

Kevin

Yes..outside the datastage I dont see the magic number but it is only in the designer when I try to view data that I get to see this and yes I tried all SQL types in datastage but no luck

Thanks
KP
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do a search for 2147483647 - you might learn about handling of integers in DataStage, at least in the server environment (where BigInt is treated as Integer). I can not test whether the same occurs in PX, but it sounds like it is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dswizard
Participant

Post by dswizard »

Ray

Thanks for the reply. I did the search but that did not help much. In server job I dont see any problem but only when I open in parallel canvas , I see this number. I changed the datatypes to decimal 10,0 and even varchar but no luck .

Thanks
KP
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Final suggestion - go for a bigger data type, for example Decimal(38) or VarChar(255). If that doesn't work, log a support call. I'm not using PX at the moment, so I can't test my theories.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.