Configuration help and ideas

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Woth
Participant

Configuration help and ideas

Post by Woth »

I'm currently in the process of installing DataStage(PX) on an AIX server. This perticular box will be used for traning and development projects.

I need to properly "secure" the training projects and development projects. I think I can do this using a mix of UNIX groups and Datastage groups.

Is this futile, doable? Anyone experimented this? Where can I find proper information on datastage groups. (the pdfs are hardly helpful).

Thanks for the push
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no such thing as "DataStage groups" - I suspect you're referring to DataStage roles. You attach DataStage roles to operating system groups in the Administrator client.

Definitely do-able.

Create one operating system group for each project, and another (say dstage) for all DataStage users. Make dstage the primary group for dsadm. Make all DataStage users' umask 002. Make each DataStage user's primary group the group associated with that user's main project.
Add users to groups according to which projects they need to work in.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nkreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nkreddy »

Ray,

Would you please tell me why we need umask 002 in the .profile. Our profile has umask 00. Do you recommend us to change that?

Thanks,
NK
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Umask is the mechanism to set permission on any files created during the process. Umask 000 gives more permission than umask 002 and hence must be ok.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

umask 00 allows everyone who has access to the machine to read and write. Everyone. If that's what you want, then OK.

umask 002 means that only members of the group (as well as the original creator/owner) have write permission; to others the objects are read-only.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.