Phantom process created by server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akash_nitj
Participant

Phantom process created by server

Post by akash_nitj »

Hi All
What is this phantom process created by datastage. Why it is created ?

Regards
akash
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Akash,

which phantom do you mean? If you do a "ps -ef | grep ds" you will see a number of processes, "dsapi_slave", "dscs", "dsrpcd" and a lock_daemon (I think). Since you refer to a phantom, I am assuming that you are looking at the Universe level, and a Phantom is the engine's definition of a background process. The process is a DataStage internal one.
akash_nitj
Participant

It is a unix process created by user dsadm

Post by akash_nitj »

ArndW wrote:Akash,

which phantom do you mean? If you do a "ps -ef | grep ds" you will see a number of processes, "dsapi_slave", "dscs", "dsrpcd" and a lock_daemon (I think). Since you refer to a phantom, I am assuming that you are looking at the Universe level, and a Phantom is the engine's definition of a background process. The process is a DataStage internal one.
It is a unix process created by user dsadm.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think it might be the lock daemon or the uvrpcd - in either case it is used by DataStage and is either a process that spawns the sessions you create when using the Designer, Manager, Director or when running jobs; or it is a process that cleans up locks left over from disconnected sessions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Phantom" is the term that DataStage uses to mean "background process" (in UNIX, they are specifically implemented as nohup processes so that they can continue to execute even though their parent process logs out).

Apart from daemons (executables such as dsdlockd, dsrpcd) and agent processes (dsapi_server and dsapi_slave), almost every DataStage process on the server will be a phantom.

Incidentally, the term "phantom" is the reason for the directory name &PH&. This directory contains the output from all phantom processes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

It typically show up dramatically when you run a job. Running jobs in EE produce a large number of processes, dependent on what you are doing within the job.

Leave those phantom processes alone. Attempting to kill them will cause the job to fail.