Calling DataStage Routine from Parallel job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

memrinal
Participant

Calling DataStage Routine from Parallel job

Post by memrinal »

Hi,
I have a DataStage Server routine which i need to call from a PX job. I tried using everything including using transform for the same but nothing worked. can there be a round about way to call a routine from the PX job.
Currently i am using a server shared container for the purpose but would like inputs from all you people about a better way to do the same.
Thanks in advance
Mrinal
Mrinal Kumar

Even the IMPOSSIBLE says "I M Possible"
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

You can't without using a server shared container ot the Basic Transformer on the Parallel canvas. (except for before/after routines) Either way your mixing server and parallel which can reduce the performance. For best performance you would be best to write a builop/PXRoutine that does the same task.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

If the routine is built and tested, you can create a shared container of the a server transform stage and incorporate the shared container in your PX job.
memrinal
Participant

Post by memrinal »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:If the routine is built and tested, you can create a shared container of the a server transform stage and incorporate the shared container in your PX job.
Thats what i am doing now. but i was looking for some better way to get this done. I think calling a Server shared Container in a PX job may have performance issues. Has anyone done an impact analysis for this. if yes please share the results with me. Thanks in advance.
Mrinal Kumar

Even the IMPOSSIBLE says "I M Possible"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Of course calling a server component will have performance issues; it runs only in a single process. There is a list of what you can and cannot do with shared containers that contain server components in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Of course calling a server component will have performance issues; it runs only in a single process. There is a list of what you can and cannot do with shared containers that contain server components in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Yikes, Ray got bitten by the double-post bug! Not even the Great One can escape it!
GIDs
Participant

Re: Calling DataStage Routine from Parallel job

Post by GIDs »

memrinal wrote:Hi,
I have a DataStage Server routine which i need to call from a PX job. I tried using everything including using transform for the same but nothing worked. can there be a round about way to call a routine from the PX job.
Currently i am using a server shared container for the purpose but would like inputs from all you people about a better way to do the same.
Thanks in advance
Mrinal
you can convert the routine to a buildop, as these build-op operations can still be partitioned and all that a PX stage can do