housekeeping

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

urahul
Participant

housekeeping

Post by urahul »

Hi,

Can I have some guidance on what all can we delete from the ascential file systems so as to save some space.

thank you.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Urahul,

when you set up the Px project you (should) split the Project & Data directories from the engine mount point; there is little to nothing there that can be deleted without causing the system to fail.

The Project directories should also be separated from data directories; projects in Px tend not to grow as much as with Server but you can still get large log files that need to be maintained and purged, but this cannot be done at the UNIX level but from within the director.

Data directories and temp dirs are the usual culprits when it comes to eating up disk space, but which data sets or temp files can be deleted really depends upon your project setup.

The engine and project directories in Px should only use up a very small percentage of disk space, so if you are having storage problems check the temp directories defined in your Px config files.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Do a search, there's a few recent threads that answered this very question.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

The person saying splitting filesystems is right on....never, for example, place hash files or Projects within the datastage home directory!

The ./ds filesystem should be binaries only. Then create Projects and has files and scripts and so on in a another filesystem such as ./dstage_data.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's not much more I can add to that.

As a general rule, the more I/O channels you can provide, the better your throughput will be.

Make very sure your hashed files are on file systems that won't become full. They break if you try to update them when this is the case.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.