Command Interface

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

beaulie01
Premium Member
Premium Member

Command Interface

Post by beaulie01 »

Hi all,

Could someone tell me where I can find some documentation about the command interface located in DataStage Administrator. I try to find the list of commands we can use in it.

I checked in the pdf of DataStage Administrator Guide and nothing is mentioned about those commands.

Thanks!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage does not deliver the PDF documentation for all that can be done from the ADMINistrator; mainly because it is possible for the unwary or uninitiated to completely and irrevocably cause damage - it's like letting an inquisitive 12-year hacker have DBA and root rights to a system -- a disaster just waiting to happen :shock:

This URL points to a page that links to a number of documents which all describe aspects of the command line, specifically looking at 70-9004-952.pdf will give you a good overview. There is a lot that can be done, I would recommend to avoid using it and ask in here or elsewhere for commands to execute for specific problems.[/b]
beaulie01
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by beaulie01 »

Thanks Arnd! It's really appreciate.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A slightly better library is here (these cover the most recent UniVerse version on which DataStage was built).

Note that there are some commands that are explicitly blocked in the Administrator client's command window. These include:
  • LOGTO (don't know why - this was not blocked in 4.2)

HELP (because the window can't handle terminal formatting sequences)

some other menus (same reason)

QUIT and LOGOUT (because that would break the connection)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsxuserrio
Participant

Post by dsxuserrio »

Hi
I have used only the following commands in the command window.
Instead of LOGTO you can click on the project to choose it.
LIST.READU
LIST.LOCKS
LIST>FILE.STATS
and see logs using
SELECT * FROM RT_LOGxx;

You can instead use $DSHOME/bin/uv and use all the above commands plus the folloowing
LIST.DICT UV_TABLES;
HELP;
HELP LIST;
SELECT * FROM UV_TABLES;
LOGTO PROJECTNAME
LIST.DICT UV_COLUMNS;

and many more
Thanks
dsxuserrio
dsxuserrio

Kannan.N
Bangalore,INDIA
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

LIST.LOCKS is not the appropriate command; this shows task synchronization locks, which are not used by DataStage.

LIST.FILE.STATS will be singularly unhelpful unless the statistics have first been gathered using ACCOUNT.FILE.STATS.

As you can discern, there is much to learn, and much of which you should be wary.

For example, if I were to tell you that there is a command for UNIX called halt, would you rush off to try it?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsxuserrio
Participant

Post by dsxuserrio »

Ray
Thanks for your comments. LIST.LOCKS is one of the commands we have been regularly using.

Whenever we want to bring down datastage services we do the following

Ask everyone to close ds
double check using ps -ef and bin/uv LIST.READU
To check if there are user locks bin/uv/ LIST.LOCKS.
If there are locks we clear them.

Then bin/uv -admin -stop.

Thanks
dsxuserrio

Kannan.N
Bangalore,INDIA
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Would I be right in saying that LIST.LOCKS never shows any locks held? That's because - unless you've chosen to use them within your own routines - task synchronization locks are not used by DataStage.

All user locks used by DataStage processes and clients can be viewed with LIST.READU EVERY. In most cases LIST.READU alone suffices, because a group latch is taken primarily in conjunction with a record-level lock (exceptions occur with administrative activities such as RESIZE or repair).