cannot give exclusive permissions......A strange problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

forboy
Participant

cannot give exclusive permissions......A strange problem

Post by forboy »

Hi,
I have Strange question, When I try to compile one of my job, I get an error saying that "cannot give exclusive permissions......".
Strange thing is i am able to export the same job from the DS Manager.
I checked on unix , closing all the data stage processes for DSSLAVE_API.I see no processes running under my ID nor with any body from my team.
Greatly Appreciate Your Help, this has been bugging me all day.

Thanks
ForBoy
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There may be a database lock on the repository owned by a defunct process. To determine whether this is the case, execute these commands.

Code: Select all

. $DSHOME/dsenv

$DSHOME/bin/list_readu | grep RU | grep -v :
If there is a lock you will see it in this report. The name of the job will appear in the rightmost column.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

It usually means that you are looking at the log of the same job in Director. Get out of that particular view, and bam, you will be able to compile.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I just re-read the original post. Does it really say "cannot give exclusive permissions"?

If that's the case we're probably barking up the wrong tree.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
s1kaasam
Participant

Post by s1kaasam »

Hi
If you have that error cannot get exclusive rights for the job, and you do not have any one logged onto the job then it means that there are active locks on the job that need to be removed.Go to bin/uv inside DSEngine and Do a list.readu at the prompt that you get after bin/uv and get the user no. for the jobs.
After that do
unlock user <user no> all
to remove those active locks.
Any questions let me know
shravan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is singularly dangerous advice. What about all the other locks that are held by that process? They are there for a reason.

The only time that you can safely release ALL locks held by a process is when you can be 100% sure that that process cannot release them itself; that is, when that process is defunct, or has disappeared from the process table (what you see with a ps -e report).

If the process is still there, then it may be doing something for which it requires a lock. It is much better to use some of the other options of the UNLOCK command (to execute which, incidentally, you must have administrator privilege) to unlock just the lock that is causing the problem. And only then when you are sure that it can't be released by more conventional means, such as closing a Monitor, or switching away from Log view in Director, or closing the job properties window in Manager.