Limitation in transformer derivation function(s) ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsedi
Participant

Limitation in transformer derivation function(s) ?

Post by dsedi »

Hi all,

in the same project,
in some transformer i am able to get all the transformer derivation function(s)..( i am looking for substrings function)

i am not able to get all the derivation function for the transformers which i created newly from the pallate window.

do i need to change any options somewhere?

Thanks in advance
Dsedi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is it the same Transformer stage type, or have you chosen a Transformer stage in one place and a BASIC Transformer stage in the other?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsedi
Participant

Post by dsedi »

yes..from diffrent places.
in my new job , i have copied a Transformer stage from another existing job (which contain substrings function) and for that transformer, i am able to see all the transformer dervation functions.
but the transformer which i created from pallate window doesn't show all the transformer dervation functions.
:( ..i donno why...

Thanks ray!

Regards
Dsedi
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

DataStage Server Functions used in the Server Job Transformer (BASIC Transformer) are different from the avaliable functions found in the Parallel Transformer (from a parallel job).

You can however place the server transformer on the parallel canvas which works like having a server shared container on the parallel canvas.

You cannot place the parallel Transformer on the Server canvas.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

You also need to be concerned about performance. Server transformer stage is _VERY_ slow compared to Parallel Transformer stage, especially on multiple node (Server is sequential.)

So, avoid using Server Transformer stage unless there is a situation where you need it. You are also probably better off creating BuildOPs instead of a Server Transformer stage. However, this require some knowledge of C/C++. Also, the metadata is fixed. This can be overcomed when you create a custom operator, which require a much deeper knowledge of the Orchestrate API.