PWD Environment Variable warning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

PWD Environment Variable warning

Post by ashcar »

I know this warning has been discussed before but can somebody tell exactly where do i make a change before.. because after every change in .dsenv to setup PWD ..i have to stop/start DSengine ... i am like a :twisted: in the group

my Unix Admin has a question "Where is the environment variable PWD getting set on unix server for the dsadm user?"

main_program: Warning: the value of the PWD environment variable (/proj/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine) does not appear to be a synonym for the current working directory (/proj/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/MIdvl). The current working directory will be used, but if your ORCHESTRATE job does not start up correctly, you should set your PWD environment variable to a value that will work on all nodes of your system.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

PWD is a Korn shell concept. It is not available when a DataStage client logs in or a job runs as a phantom.
Mamu Kim
ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ashcar »

So where is the PWD environment set for Parallel extender.. to get rid of that warning ...
in some earlier posts it was mentioned to change from#!/bin/ksh to #!/bin/sh ..in dsenv file .that did not help ..
any suggestions ???
sivatallapaneni
Participant

Post by sivatallapaneni »

Go Datatstage admin and select your project and on General tab click the environment button and goto user defined category and create a ENV variable called PWD with the correct path of the project. this should be the path where Project is sitting.

cheers,
Siva.
ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ashcar »

sivatallapaneni wrote:Go Datatstage admin and select your project and on General tab click the environment button and goto user defined category and create a ENV variable called PWD with the correct path of the project. this should be the path where Project is sitting.

cheers,
Siva.
that does not work .. tried inserting "/proj/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/MIdvl" path in the variable
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Nah. Even easier:

PWD with a value of "."
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It does not matter if dsenv is a Korn shell or a Bourne shell. PWD is dynamically set in ksh. A DataStage job is not a Korn shell. It may execute a shell but it's current directory is the project directory. So you could fake it out. I doubt if any Korn shell will let you set PWD. If you need this value then run the pwd command. That is not hard.
Mamu Kim
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Actually, you should ensure that DataStage starts in KSH by ensuring that the startup script ($DSHOME/etc/ds.rc or something like that) have .../ksh set instead of shell.

-T.J.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Be careful if using QualityStage, however, because it insists on Bourne shell. Its own "shell executable" is a symbolic link to /bin/sh.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ashcar »

ray.wurlod wrote:Be careful if using QualityStage, however, because it insists on Bourne shell. Its own "shell executable" is a symbolic link to /bin/sh.
i have qualitystage on the same server but different project..works fine after tweaking with all help from DSXchange...but the parallel extender warning abt PWD is still there
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

T42 wrote:Actually, you should ensure that DataStage starts in KSH
But the PWD message is because Ksh has been used. :?

If you run DataStage under sh you won't see this message.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Whoops. Yeah. Other way around then. I wasn't so sure about it -- having to go with memory. Life is not good when you don't have a local server to test with.
ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ashcar »

someone described it before and the easiest way is
creating a Environment variable at project level from Administrator
---> PWD and give the default path pointing to the warning, in my case
--->/proj/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/MIdvl

create PWD variable for each project and insert them in every job you develop..