DataStage Command Language

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sathyanveshi
Participant

DataStage Command Language

Post by sathyanveshi »

Hi,

What's DataStage Command Language? Can I get some documentation/links to get to know mor about this?

Cheers,
Mohan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Where did you encounter the expression?

I am guessing that it is an attempt to describe the language in which you can execute commands within the dssh environment. Included in this are:
  • two separate query languages
    a data entry/update facility
    a menus processor
    scripting "languages" ("paragraph" language and PROCs)
    a line-based editor
    commands for creating, defining, analysing, tuning and removing various kinds of database objects, including hashed files
    commands for controlling the interactive environment
    and more
There is little Ascential documentation on these commands, whether deliberately or otherwise I'm not sure. Prior to version 6, when DataStage was built on UniVerse, you could refer to the UniVerse manuals and they are still a reasonable resource. Be aware, however, that there are variations creeping in at each new release of DataStage, which are not documented in the UniVerse manuals.

You make almost no use at all of the DataStage Command Language if you are using Parallel Extender. In the PX environment you are not using the dssh, you are using osh, which is a very different place indeed. So (as one must assume because you've posted on this forum) if you are using PX, don't be overly concerned about the DataStage Command Language.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.