Documentation of the Jobs and Sequences

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sathyanveshi
Participant

Documentation of the Jobs and Sequences

Post by sathyanveshi »

Hi,

We have developed a sequence of around 36 jobs. Pretty-simple but looks pretty complicated. Now, we need to document what we have designed. Each job, each sequence and each link has been provided with proper names and appropriate descriptions. Now, is there a mechanism where I can get a document/report of all my jobs, sequences, the routines used. To be precise, I need the entire meta data, code, etc in a document.

Please let me know how easily/optimally can I achieve this? Or is it that, I have to manually type everything?

Friends, please respond ASAP.

Cheers,
Mohan
sachinkc
Participant

Re: Documentation of the Jobs and Sequences

Post by sachinkc »

If you are looking for something like a javadoc utility, I don't think we have it in Datastage. Someone please correct me here if I am wrong.

But a work-around can be, you can export your jobs in an xml file and then run Javadoc or a similar utility on it.

Rgrds
Sachin
sachin@operamail.com
1 248 250 4174 (cell)
sathyanveshi wrote:Hi,

We have developed a sequence of around 36 jobs. Pretty-simple but looks pretty complicated. Now, we need to document what we have designed. Each job, each sequence and each link has been provided with proper names and appropriate descriptions. Now, is there a mechanism where I can get a document/report of all my jobs, sequences, the routines used. To be precise, I need the entire meta data, code, etc in a document.

Please let me know how easily/optimally can I achieve this? Or is it that, I have to manually type everything?

Friends, please respond ASAP.

Cheers,
Mohan
Rgrds & Cheers!

Sachin
sachin@operamail.com
~Life always finds a way~
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is a routine available over in the File Library on the ADN website called JobReport that will do that for you.

Or if you have 7.5, that functionality should be included, I do believe.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Unfortunately the DataStage documentation tool does not pick up job sequences, and this tool is being phased out in the expectation that you'll use MetaStage. Even more unfortunately, MetaStage does not produce the kind of report you require.

I'd suggest exporting in XML format, then selectively parsing that - perhaps using a custom style sheet, to produce your report.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray is talking about Reporting Assistant. It does not pick up sequences. I fixed that with DwNav. The JobReport needs some help in in getting all the pices. JobReport and DwNav both generate html documents. I added routines to JobReport and it generates an All_Index html document to link to all the pages. I also modified JobReport's html to display a bitmap image of the job. You need to run DSaveAsBmp.bat to get the images. My jobs to generate all the jobs and all the routines are on ADN's download page or my tips page. They are called KgdGenHtml. It is a zip file with samples of the documentation and dsx files and whatever else you may need. You can generate documentation for hundreds of jobs in seconds. The images take longer. You will need to ftp or somehow copy the html files off the server and onto your client.

DwNav is a product I sell. You can download it and use it free for the first 30 days. You just need an auth code. Right now the major difference is the job lookup by table name and stage type. So if you know the table name and that it is a hash file then it will tell you the jobs that either read from this hash file or write to it. In the next month or two I should have the same functionality in KgdGenHtml. KgdGenHtml is free. DwNav is very inexpensive. I may give it away when this site has a premium section. DwNav has a lot more functionality than just this documentation. It can copy parameters from one job to another. It can download job stats like rows per second. It is mainly a tool for me to help me analyze ETL after someone else has built it and they are no longer available. The html looks very similar between all of these so they can be used interchangably. DwNav uses the data from Reporting Assistant and is sort of annoying to have to update it regularly.

I now can print logs and almost any SQL like row counts in this same format. So I should be able to document the last ETL run with start times and rows per second and the logs of aborted jobs. All of this looks the same so all of these documents can be displayed off your web site. As soon as I get these jobs production ready then I will post them. I will also post a second version of KgdGenHtml soon. All of this should be tied into EtlStats.zip posted on ADN and my tips page.

These html pages look professional. If you are a web developer and can show me a better way then I can modify all of these except JobReport to do it whatever way you would like. Either I give it way for free or I charge you for the work. I prefer the free route. When it is no longer fun then I will charge for it.

Some of the developers have added columns and changed the output of KgdGenHtml. You will get most of the code to do it yourself if you would like.
Mamu Kim