forwarding invocationid's to lower level-jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jasper
Participant

forwarding invocationid's to lower level-jobs

Post by jasper »

Hi,
For our datawarehouse we have a standard set of small jobs that should be run at the beginning of each workflow. These jobs are combined in a workflow wsetparameters. wsetparameters is offcource defined to allow multiple instances. Also all jobs being called in this workflow are defined as multiple instance.

now when we create a workflow for a dimension this starts by calling this wsetparameters with as invocationid the name of the dimensionflow. How can we pas this in wsetparameters to be also the invocation of the jobs in this flow?

otherwise formulated : can we catch the invocationid the workflow is started with to pass this to the jobs it's running.

I'm not very familiar with the routines and the basic in DS, so if it would involve these things please be very specific in the description (complete example would be very much appreciatied)
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Not in EE's jobs. But there may be a routine or two that you can invoke. Either do a search for "Routines get invocation" or bug Kim Duke for his highly skilled service (within your price range.) :wink:
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

The parameter for invocation is "DSInvocationId" (case sensitive)
So the invocation ID of the sequence can be passed to jobs controlled by the sequence by passing the runtime value of DSInvocationId.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Thanks for the good words but I am not sure how this is working now. If this is in a batch job or a sequence then it may be a little different. Usually I have a parameter which reflects the invocation id either exactly or logically. When I get row stats then the main invocation id is the job sequence name. From then on it is the dependent job name. It could of been the job sequence name plus 1, 2 , 3 ... All you need to do is control the duplicates.
Mamu Kim
shorts01
Participant

Post by shorts01 »

To pass the value of the a sequence's Invocation ID through to jobs it calls I use Invocation Id Expression: DSGetJobInfo (DSJ.ME,DSJ.JOBINVOCATIONID)
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I hope someone corrects all my old posts. Thanks.
Mamu Kim