Parallel job reports failure

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

praj
Participant

Parallel job reports failure

Post by praj »

Hi All,

I am facing a strange error, which is aborting my jobs. The log file shows
"Parallel job reports failure (code Internal error - missing script file RT_SC35/OshExecuter.sh)"

I am running few jobs in sequence and sometimes this error occurs and job aborts. If you rerun the job again it works. This is totally random, once in ten goes the job aborts with this error message in log file.

Has anybody faced such problem?

Thanks,
Praj
praj
Participant

OshExecuter.sh?

Post by praj »

What does OshExecuter.sh does ?
Gazelle
Premium Member
Premium Member

I just got this using PX v7.1, and am also puzzled

Post by Gazelle »

I just got this using Parallel Extender v7.1, and am also puzzled.
So I thought I'd add a note, to make this topic "current".
praj, let me know if you've found a solution.
Thanks,
- g
cyh
Participant

Post by cyh »

Have you try to enable multiple instance?
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

praj wrote:Hi All,

I am facing a strange error, which is aborting my jobs. The log file shows
"Parallel job reports failure (code Internal error - missing script file RT_SC35/OshExecuter.sh)"

I am running few jobs in sequence and sometimes this error occurs and job aborts. If you rerun the job again it works. This is totally random, once in ten goes the job aborts with this error message in log file.
What version of DataStage do you have, specifically? If you are using something like 6.0r3, it is strongly recommend that you upgrade to the latest 6.x version (6.0.3 plus patches, I believe. Contact Ascential Support or use eService web page.) This sounds like one of those mysterious compiler behavior that are fixed with a variety of patches.

Also, please verify that your mountpoint are not out of space. RT_SC35 are located under your $DSHOME/../Projects/[specific project] folder.

CYH also made a great suggestion -- if you are attempting to run the same job at the same time, this error would occurs if you do not enable multiple instances. However, I do not know which versions support this feature (I could have sworn that it's a 7.x feature.)

Please note for 6.x, Parallel Extender is actually a version 1.0. Ascential do recommend that you upgrade to 7.x (7.5A or 7.5.1 preferred). With added capabilities, modest performance boost (removal of bottlenecks here and there), and better stability, it is far better than sticking at 6.x.
praj wrote:What does OshExecuter.sh does ?
It execute the actual job.

I do recommend that you take a look around with your favorite editor under the Projects folder, especially the RT_SC*** directory -- source code directory. Just do not save any changes you may have make (under vi, always do a ":q!" to quit.) It is a fascinating read, and help you learn how the engine (Orchestrate - which OSH is short for) works.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

RT_SC35 are located under your $DSHOME/../Projects/[specific project] folder.
This is only true if you install your project in the default location (as a sub-directory of $DSHOME/../Projects). There is no requirement to do so; you can install your project directory on any local file system except the root file system.
The RT_SCnn sub-directories (where nn is the job number - search the forum for DS_JOBS) are within your project directory wherever it is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Gazelle
Premium Member
Premium Member

OshExecuter.sh failure fixed by upgrade to 7.1r2

Post by Gazelle »

Ascential supported confirmed that this intermittent problem would be fixed by upgrading our 7.1 software to 7.1r2. HTH.
- g
Baldmartyr
Participant

Post by Baldmartyr »

Any reason why this thread should not be moved to the PX forum?
David Baldwin
Former DSXchange Webmaster
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

None whatsoever. :roll:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.