DS Dev automation using CA Release Automation & Chef

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

amit.jaiswal_ATL
Premium Member
Premium Member

DS Dev automation using CA Release Automation & Chef

Post by amit.jaiswal_ATL »

Hello All,

We are planning to work on PoC for Development Automation using CA Release automation and Chef. One of the question is can we create DataStage job using API or CLI. Can you please throw more light on this? Also do you know where can I find the exhaustive list on what is possible to automate/develop using API/CLI etc?

Thanks in advance!

-Amit
Amit Jaiswal
Atlanta GA USA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your "exhaustive list" would be in the documentation. Here is a link to the Command Line Interface documentation, the API is documented as well and supports the same capabilities. This to address your 'automation' question. As to the 'develop' side, there is no such capability out of the box that I am aware of.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To address only the "develop" part of your question, you can produce anything a DataStage parallel job can produce using OSH (Orchestrate script).

This is what Torrent customers had to do before Torrent were acquired by Ascential. There's probably still a few of them around on DSXchange. It's also how InfoSphere Information Analyzer works.

Orchestrate script is executed via the osh command. You will need to have set any needed environment variables (such as APT_ORCHHOME and APT_CONFIG_FILE) before executing the osh command.

You can search for Orchestrate manuals (User Guide, Record Schema, Operators Reference) on the internet, but beware that there's also an Orchestrate product used in astronomy. You do not require these manuals!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
amit.jaiswal_ATL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by amit.jaiswal_ATL »

Thanks everyone for your valuable response and insight. I have gone through the documents and found that IBM Infosphere DataStage has given CLI commands and APIs to achieve some functionality for automation. More or less same thing can be achieved using both the ways. Any recommendation on which one to be used with CA Release Automation and Chef (with some details on why) ?

Thanks in advance!
Amit Jaiswal
Atlanta GA USA