Tier Level for Datastage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudheerkumar541
Participant

Tier Level for Datastage

Post by sudheerkumar541 »

Hi,

we have metadata repository tier, services tier, engine tier and client tier, I just to know which tier architecture I am currently using, if each tier is installed in different servers then corresponding server and DB information, is there any way to find this, I am new to datastage, please note that I don't have any admin access I am developer.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Sudheer
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Ask your admin what the topology is.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

That information can also be obtained within your Version.xml.

But as qt_ky indicated, talk to your admin, he/she will be HAPPY that someone cares enough to ask.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:D
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you log in to DataStage, you do so from the client tier. You specify the hostname of the services tier to authenticate your credentials. You specify the hostname of the engine tier when specifying the project to which to connect. If these three hostnames are all different, then the tiers are on different machines.

You don't really need to care about where the repository tier is located and, as an ordinary user, it's not all that easy to find out (other than by asking). This is really only within the purview of the administrator. It is (and should be) invisible to ordinary users.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sudheerkumar541
Participant

Post by sudheerkumar541 »

hi,

Thanks for your response,i will try to get info from admin, I am not seeing anything in version.xml related to servers, can you please give some more info

thanks,
sudheer
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

There is a Version.xml file on each of the tier computers. Since a client install doesn't need to know anything about the other tiers, it's Version.xml won't have that information.

If you have access to your engine tier computer, its Version.xml should at least have something in it about the services tier host since the engine tier installation requires that information.

Mike