Starting services always takes two attempts?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MrBlack
Participant

Starting services always takes two attempts?

Post by MrBlack »

Whenever I go to start the services, it will hang forever (45+ mins) and then I lose paitiants and I kill it, and search for the process and kill it. Then I issue the command a second time and it starts up within a couple of minutes. Can anyone offer guidance where to start looking as to why this is???

Code: Select all

/opt/IBM/InformationServer/ASBServer/bin/MetadataServer.sh run
About my environment:
Linux
Two machines, one for services, one for engine
Version 11.3
Is there anything else that would be helpful to know?
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

I would check if last time was stopped clean by looking at the logs and searching for any Java process running in the server. If any present that will be the culprit of your issue..
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

And also check out the work load manager....maybe there isnt enough cpu or memory available or too many other sevices already running....

Also...is it a large EE job deployed as a service? ...where karge is hundreds of stagrs?

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

eostic wrote: ...where karge is hundreds of stagrs?
Guess I need to get caught up on the latest techno-babble. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I have a separate service tier at this site which has a minimal configuration and when I start the Metadata server the Java process consume over 2Gb of memory and uses 100% CPU for a period of about 10 or more minutes.
Next time you start the process, use your favorite monitoring tool (I'm old skool and use "vmstat" and "top") to see if the process is actually using resources or just hanging.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Known issue actually.

There is a patch for it contained in RU 3 I believe.

Something about Websphere cleaning up events.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

We also hit that issue. We were having around 20 minute startup times every week. The workaround suggested was to restart more frequently. Instead we just waited for the patch to be released. The patch resolved the problem.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius