Encrypting a column in Datastage 9.1

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snehal15101982
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snehal15101982 »

Hi All

Is there any built in function available in datastage to encrypt and decrypt a field present in a *.csv file?

Thanks,
Snehal
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. There is only encryption.

But you could write your own.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Out of curiosity, what kind of encryption are you thinking about / needing to do? And just to be clear, this is about handling an encrypted column in a file, this rather than taking a single column from a file and encrypting it in some other target, yes?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
snehal15101982
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snehal15101982 »

Currently we are using encryption function in netezza to achieve this, as the target DB is Netezza .But now the requirement has changed and we need to use encryption function (built in) in DS.
In Informatica we have AES_ENCRYPT and DECRYPT to do this.
So I was curious, if the newer version of DS has any such kind of functions?

Source csv ->Target Netezza

Thanks,
Snehal Patil
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why? Any idea what is driving this "need"? You've got something that is working, after all. :?

As noted by Ray, there is only encryption with this being what I assume he meant. However, it does not note the type of encryption - a critical piece of information if you ever want to be able to decrypt it. Also note that it says you can "create and configure your own encryption provider. If you want to provide your own encryption, you can do so by creating an implementation of the EncryptionProvider interface." which means you could roll up whatever you needed and leverage it via this interface. More discussion of other aspects of this here including mention of the Encode/Decode stages which you could look into. An exact search here will turn up several more.

Make sure whatever path you choose is something Netezza supports and can decrypt... Netezza or whatever tool / app will be tasked with that.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The default for DataStage encrypt is AES-128.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks, hadn't found that mentioned when I researched for the post.
-craig