Stage descriptions lose CR when jobs are reopened

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wwilliamson
Participant

Stage descriptions lose CR when jobs are reopened

Post by wwilliamson »

We use a standard template in the Description box in our stage properties, but when a job is closed and reopened all of the CR/LF characters appear to have been removed, and the text is collapsed into a single block. However, those characters are still present - if you copy the text, and paste it into Notepad then it will appear properly formatted, and if you move the cursor along the text using the arrow keys, it will pause between words that were separated by a CR/LF. Have any of you folks dealt with something like this before?

From time to time over the past few months, I've dug around in the forums, but none of my searching seems to have turned up anything because terms like "DataStage Stage description newline" appear in numerous forum posts on DsXchange.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've never seen that, but I've not played much with version 9 (only 8 and 11 of late).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I see you flagged your environment as Windows, but is that true for all of the tiers?

Is your back end engine on Windows and your xmeta repository?

Kinda looks like a classic Windows vs Unix CR/LF munching, but if it's all windows... Then it doesn't make a lot of sense that if would get clobbered.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Paul is correct. Cutting and pasting into Designer from Windows is a hit or miss issue. I have seen it break jobs. Underneath the covers in Universe char(13) and char(11) get mixed up with @FM. I have actually fixed these jobs by editing records in DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS which I would never recommend.

I would try a different editor other than Notepad. Try one which you can switch from DOS CR/LF to UNIX LF or whatever it is. There are other control codes which can really mess up jobs so be careful. What you are doing is unsupported. I would have to edit the records to see exactly what DS_JOBOBJECTS really wants.
Mamu Kim