Datastage Jobs won't open after restore from back-up.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Childrensmn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage Jobs won't open after restore from back-up.

Post by Childrensmn »

Hello:

I had issues with my project this morning so decided to restore from the tape (networking group) from Sunday night back-up.
I dropped and re-created the project (DwProd)...the folks restore the project. But I cannot open any job. I can see the job in Director and run them fine. But when I try to open the job it gives me the following error
"Unable to open the Job
The Job "Job_Name" cannot be found in the repository".
I tried bouncing datastage but no good.

Please help me with the pointers.

Thanks,
-Sam
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

They "restore the project" how? And which part of the project - the legacy side, the XMETA side or both? Sounds to me like you need to run that 'sync project' script they provide for when the two get out of sync.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Childrensmn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Childrensmn »

Thanks for the reply.

I ran the syncscript.sh and it deleted all the jobs... Now I cannot see the jobs in director as well...
I rant the script for diagnosis and it showed 936 issues need to be fixed. I ran the resolve script and it said all 936 issues have been fixed.

Earlier I was able to see the jobs in director and run from there... now after running the syncscript, I cannot see in Director either..

Please help.

Thanks!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It seems to me you really need to answer the questions asked.
-craig

Childrensmn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Childrensmn »

We have nightly back-ups of our production environment. The projects (legacy side only I believe) are backed-up.
So, when I started having problems yesterday... I asked the network folks to restore the back-up from Nov 15.

Prior to them backing up, I dropped and re-created the same project (DwProd) from Admin client.

After the project was restored from back-up, I was able to see the jobs in director and run from there just fine. But I couldn't open in designer (not found in repository error message).

That is when I searched around (this forum and IBM) and came across SyncScript and after running, I lost all jobs.

Not sure if I answered your question... Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Clarify how all of your backups are done. It can mean several things and I'd rather not guess.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:idea: The more details you provide up front, the less back and forth we have here. And if you haven't done so already, make sure to involve your official support provider!
-craig

Childrensmn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Childrensmn »

I asked the folks on how backups are done and he said they back-up the entire server and its directories. Sorry, I am lost.

I asked him to restore the back-up and I can see the jobs in director now and run them fine but can't open in designer (errors on every job saying job is not in repository).

Sure, I may have to involve IBM (support) for help. Thanks for your help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Any idea if the XMETA instance resides on the same server that is being backed up at the filesystem level? I'm guessing it is elsewhere but that's more informational than germain to this issue I believe. And I assume that when you 'dropped and re-created' the project, that removed it from BOTH places but your filesystem restore only put back the legacy side of the world and thus XMETA is still empty. And I'm also assuming you have no project exports that you keep as another level of backup?

Unless someone else has dealt with this exact scenario before and has some thoughts, seems to me you are firmly in support's hands to get things sync'd back up.
-craig

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

This is precisely why I export projects using the istool utility for backup purposes. It makes the restore process fast and easy. Sorry about your luck here.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius