Sequence job not running any job/routine in new project

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence job not running any job/routine in new project

Post by Sathishkumarins »

When I run any sequence job in newly created projects it fails with below error message.

Director log:

Starting Job <job name>
Environment variable settings: (...)
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in job <job name>..JobControl
Job <job name> aborted

However the server jobs run fine. We created 2 new projects in an existing server and only the sequence jobs not running in those 2 projects. However seq in older projects in the same host/server runs fine.

Please help.
Developer9
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Sequence job not running any job/routine in new project

Post by Developer9 »

Can you please provide more details from the Director log ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is <job name> the name of a job invoked from a Job activity? If so, right click on the "Requesting job run" event (with the -> in its text) and choose Related Log to see the actual job log. Report to us what you find there, particularly about its finishing status.

You can right click on the "Job under control finished" event (with the <- in its text) and choose Related Log to return to the log for the sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ray,
No Ray. The <job name> is actually seq job name. The job design has routine activity and job activity. But the problem here is sequence aborting even before any job activity/routine activity is triggered. The below 4 lines are the only log i get in the seq when i run. Moreover this is a running job in PROD.

Not only a particular but any sequence job in the whole project is not running the underlying server jobs that is called using job activity or routine called using routine activity. Meaning these jobs are imported from PROD and moved to newly created projects for development purpose.

Control: Starting Job < SEQ job name>
Info: Environment variable settings: (...)
Warning: Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in job <SEQ job name>..JobControl
Control: Job <SEQ job name> aborted

Any sequence job I run in this project i get only the above error. :( But when i run the server job individually its running fine.

Additional info: We created totally 2 new projects and imported jobs from existing PROD and any sequence we run we just get the above 4 line error
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Involve support.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oops. Craig/Ray,

The problem is the sequence job uses a routine in the beginning of job which fails and unfortunately all seq jobs have that routine called in the beginning of the job. The routine is GetNextBatchNumber. So the issue is narrowed down to routine.

They have migrated the routine and compiled as well but the routine writes and stores the next sequence value to a file in server which also needs to be created/migrated for the routine to work. I couldn't find the path from routine though.

Ray/Craig,
Do you have any idea where those files will be located so that I can request admins to create/migrate the file which stores the sequence numbers
Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

Again the file has been found and the file name is SDKSequences. But still the routine fails saying "DSU.KeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrentBATCH": Line 39, Improper data type.
Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

The above routine uses the sdk routine KeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrent. When i test with a argument as 'BATCH_SID' it fails with below error. :(

TEST #1

Arg1 = BATCH_SID

Test failed.

Program "TSTKeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrent.B": Line 3, COMMON size mismatch in subroutine "DSX.KEYMGTGETNEXTVALUECONCURRENT".
Program "TSTKeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrent.B": Line 3, Unable to load file "DSX.KEYMGTGETNEXTVALUECONCURRENT".
Program "TSTKeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrent.B": Line 3, Unable to load subroutine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah yes, SDKSequences. Did you copy that hashed file over to the new project? A simple 'test' of the existing sdk routine would have created a new one for you if it is OK for it to 'start over'. Best to explain whatever it was you did so we can help figure out what it doesn't like.
-craig

Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

We just did copied the SDKSequences from the PROD directory craig and placed it in our dev server directory.

I see two files has been copied
1. SDKSequences
2. D_SDKSequences

Wondering why sdk utility throwing the error still
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Did anything with that name exist there before you copied it? For #1 can you cofirm it is a file and not a directory? Also (as a general statement) ensure the ownership and permissions are correct.
-craig

Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi Craig,

Good News! It worked finally.

Yes both of the above mentioned are files found in project account path. I just thought about and gave a try on one of your suggestion. We did renamed to SDKSequences.bkp and D_SDKSequences.bkp and ran the routine and it created new files again and the seq values started with 1,2,3 etc., Now we replaced the .bkp file to the original file name and seq number started from where it left from PROD.

I'm assuming the run after renaming might have created the necessary entries in Datastage and that might have helped.

Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

Will mark the topic as resolved. Thanks Craig.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, there's a VOC entry you need along with the files and the test would have created that, although I would have thought you would have seen a different error. Just as an FYI, a search on that file's name could have turned up previous conversations where the advice is to test first to create the necessary components and then replace with the data from the other environment. You took the long way round but got there eventually. :wink:
-craig

Sathishkumarins
Premium Member
Premium Member

:)