Update all Parameter Sets to actual values

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Tampa_Indy
Participant

Update all Parameter Sets to actual values

Post by Tampa_Indy »

We are interested in making all parameter sets display the actual values that are contained in them within DataStage. e.g.

If we have 20 jobs with a parameter set $dsfasdfa.sdfasdf$ for the value of '2015', we want to be able to open any job and see 2015 instead of $dsfasdfa.sdfasdf$. Is it possible to perform a mass update of this kind, or does it require a manual process?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Remember your topic about doing a find and replace inside a DSX file? This is the same type of scenario. I am afraid to ask why anyone would want to do that, so I'm not even going to ask. :?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Tampa_Indy
Participant

Post by Tampa_Indy »

So the answers is the dsx file. A silly question - how do I obtain access to this file if I cannot logon to the DataStage server? Is the dsx file truly the only way to accomplish this?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Yes, as far as I know. How to do so is outlined in your other topic.

If someone had hard-coded 2015 (or any value) into all the jobs, then it would make sense to do a find/replace-all to plug in parameters to make the jobs more flexible. It sounds like you all are trying to do the opposite though...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK, I'll ask. Can you share for us why you are looking into this? There is some concern that with your limited knowledge of the tool that you might be making a decision that is not in your best interest long term. A full explanation could help arrive at a more proper solution.

Pet Peeve Alert:
We see that you just typed junk when you said "$dsfasdfa.sdfasdf$" - can you show us a real example of what you have in mind? Many times that helps better illustrates the issue, much more so than a string of random key presses. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Thomas.B
Participant

Post by Thomas.B »

To avoid that mass update thing you can put your global parameters to the value "$PROJDEF" and define their values on the DataStage Administrator client.
Updating the whole project will be much easier that way.
BI Consultant
DSXConsult
Tampa_Indy
Participant

Post by Tampa_Indy »

chulett wrote:OK, I'll ask. Can you share for us why you are looking into this?
This is a specific request from the powers from up above. Ideally, we would only wish to adjust the parameter sets in a specific folder and leave the rest of the jobs as-is. If I am understanding correctly, this is NOT possible? Correct?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just one folder is certainly possible. Create an export of just that folder's contents.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Tampa_Indy
Participant

Post by Tampa_Indy »

Thank you! That worked. So once we open the file using NotePad, do we simply do a 'replace all' for all parameter sets? Then conduct an import using DataStage?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, being very careful of what exactly you change of course. And with good backups. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Tampa_Indy
Participant

Post by Tampa_Indy »

Thank you for the suggestions!