ISX file clarification

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vamsi_4a6
Participant

ISX file clarification

Post by vamsi_4a6 »

i have created one isx file for entire project.Is it possible to import a particular job and i want to see all the jobs present in isx file before importing.
Something i am looking similar to import selected present in dsx file
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The last time I checked, the istool utility had a -preview option to allow you to preview what will be imported, but isx file imports were all or nothing.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

:idea: While there is no straight forward/official way to import a job from an isx file ... if target project is 'stable', a workaround for this is
- Delete the job(s) from target project.
- In IBM Information Server client, import the isx to target project. Do not select "Replace existing objects" checkbox.
vamsi_4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi_4a6 »

thanks for clarification.My requirement is to take the backup of entire project on weekly basis and i have to import some of the components from isx file depends on business. everything should be automated otherwise i should have used import/export option of dsx file
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

vamsi_4a6 wrote:My requirement is to take the backup of entire project on weekly basis
This sounds like a non Development project. Above mentioned restore a job from isx backup will work.

If you want to restore a specific DataStage module, when multiple modules have been deleted since last weekly backup, then a more 'involved approach is ... Export module(s) with same name and type as the one to-be-restored to a 'new' isx backup file. Unzip the 'new' and the 'weekly' backup(isx) files and swap the module file in the new backup from the one in weekly backup. Zip the new backup file (ensure that it has isx extension). Import the new backup in target project.
Thomas.B
Participant

Post by Thomas.B »

Did you consider using the information server manager source control?
BI Consultant
DSXConsult
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

For an occasional restore, it is sometimes easier or faster or safer to just import the full isx into a temporary project then export only what you need into a dsx and import into the actual target project. Or you can monkey with the isx files and decompress and manipulate them as you want and compress them again before importing.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius