Datastage Project import getting stuck

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sajidkp
Participant

Datastage Project import getting stuck

Post by sajidkp »

Hi All,

We are doing Datastage installation on our new Windows server, as the existing server is getting retired soon. The issues is when we import the .DSX file (for entire project) its getting stuck at "Importing Datastage Design" step. This is happening only if the jobs/project already exists. ie first time import works perfectly fine, but if if try to reimport the same project again , its getting stuck. Please let us know if anyone has any idea on this.

Thanks
Sajid
Regards,
Sajid KP
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How long did you wait before you decided it was 'stuck'? Each job that is being replaced must be deleted first so it will take much more time that an import into an empty project.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Did you choose to automatically overwrite upon import?

Is there a pop up window behind what you see, or perhaps on a 2nd monitor?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
sajidkp
Participant

Post by sajidkp »

Thank you Creig and qt_ky for your reply.

We have waited for more than 2 hours to confirm that it is stuck. Yes you are right, A re import will delete the job first and import the fresh code. So, I checked that if I can delete a job. delete works fine. But issue happens only when I re import the job 9or when try to overwrite the job). This issue happens for a single job also(with out trying the entire project import)..
Regards,
Sajid KP
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... if you have the same issue with a single job then I'd be wondering the same things that qt_ky is.
-craig

oracledba
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by oracledba »

im betting qt_ky is right as well, it looks like its probably a 2nd monitor. Remember the extend the displays in screen resolution settings.
Last edited by oracledba on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
sajidkp
Participant

Post by sajidkp »

Thank you all for your reply. Here what do we mean by a Second monitor. I could not get it.
Regards,
Sajid KP
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Meaning, do you have a dual (two) monitor setup or are you using a single monitor?
-craig

sajidkp
Participant

Post by sajidkp »

We have only a single monitor setup..
Regards,
Sajid KP
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Even so, sometimes there are dialog boxes that fail to get focus. You may be able to get to them via the task bar, by minimizing all windows (opening the desktop), or (possibly) via context switching (Alt+Tab).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Also try a few more things and share the results:

- import from a different client computer into the same project

- import into a different project
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
sajidkp
Participant

Post by sajidkp »

We have tried all this possibilities, but no luck. I am sure that its not a display issue. We are able to import the code for the first time. the issue is , while importing the second time the import getting stuck. probably it is not able to overwrite the existing code.

Table Definition import completed. It is stucking at a point where it says " Importing Job Design"..
Regards,
Sajid KP
sajidkp
Participant

Post by sajidkp »

We have tried all this possibilities, but no luck. I am sure that its not a display issue. We are able to import the code for the first time. the issue is , while importing the second time the import getting stuck. probably it is not able to overwrite the existing code.

Table Definition import completed. It is stucking at a point where it says " Importing Job Design"..
Regards,
Sajid KP
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Try running some of the ISA Lite utilities, starting with the general health checker, look for warnings and failures, and contact Support.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Often when this type of thing happens it is due to the object being locked and the import will wait (potentially forever) until the lock is released.

The simplest method for you might be to simply restart DataStage or restart the server and try again.