dsapi_slave consuiming 99% CPU when no jobs running

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amit_111
Participant

dsapi_slave consuiming 99% CPU when no jobs running

Post by Amit_111 »

Hello,

I observe by running "top" command on Linux server that the dsapi_slave process is consuming 99% CPU but at the same time when I check in operations console I do not see any jobs running.

Any idea which is this process that is consuming so much of CPU. I observed it for whole day and I see it running continuously and consuming 99% of CPU every 5 second approximately.

Note:The Metadata Server is on different machine and not on DataStage Engine Server.

Thank You !!!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That process is associated with a client session, not a running job. Do you have any active clients? How old is the dsapi_slave process? If it is older than a day, I would kill it. I'm not sure of which version of "truss" exists on your Linux but running that command might let you trace what the process is actually doing.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Thank You for your reply and Information details !!

I will check with my Linux Admin team to trace this particular Process.

Is it normal that a DS Client process is consuming almost 99% of CPU even to view the DataStage jobs as there were no running jobs.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I would never consider that to be normal but I have seen the same behavior from time to time. I always kill those "runaway" processes.

Also as ArndW mentioned, kill client processes that are older than a day. We request our developers to close their clients each day before they leave work. Then each morning if we see old client processes, we know its safe to kill them. The exception is if you have web services (ISD) or other types of "always on" jobs running, I don't kill their client processes to play it safe.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius