Making Parameter Sets and their value files dynamic

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Making Parameter Sets and their value files dynamic

Post by JPalatianos »

Hello,
We are setting up a specific project where we are looking for dynamically writing a value file for a parameter set and having a subsequnt job(s) use these for their processing. When using Administrative variables we use $PROJDEF to insure we bring in the latest value from administrator. Is their a similar feature for Parametre sets and their value files?
Thanks - - John
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There isn't, but you can use an upstream command/routine/job to write name=value pairs into values files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Let's say we populate an existing value file with name/value pairs via some sort of a script...will a job running after this using the parameter set and value file read in the new values or does the job need to be recompiled first?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It won't need to be recompiled.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I have found that when using encrypted parameters, for passwords, that are defined within a parameter set, that it is necessary to recompile jobs that rely on the parameter set, every time after a password changes. I have not tested the same behavior when using a values file.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
EII
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by EII »

Eric, are you setting the encrypted password string to $PROJDEF in the parameter set? If not this should prevent you from any recompile situation when the password is updated in the admin client.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

In my case, I have encrypted parameters defined as parameters (not environment variables) within a parameter set. As they are not environment variables, they do not use $PROJDEF and DS Administrator does not come into play.

In 8.7 I must recompile jobs that rely on the encrypted parameter, every time after keying in a changed password value directly into the parameter set. This was not the behavior I originally expected to find but it's happened a number of times and proven otherwise. That's what I wanted to share as FYI to the question about recompiling.

We used to use encrypted environment variables but found in job logs that they were visibly less secure in version 8.7. But, that's different topic...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure... but to come back to the original question at hand, the answer is still no. Unless someone has some experience to the contrary?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What happens if you use an encrypted environment variable reference in a parameter set? Do you still need to re-compile? Just a thought.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.