What's the Coolest Feature of DataStage?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

What's the Coolest Feature of DataStage?

Post by ray.wurlod »

We were pondering this question at the end of a training class I've just given. What do YOU think is the coolest feature of DataStage?

(Please indicate also the version that you are using.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
EII
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by EII »

Runtime column propagation. I just came off of an engagement where I had to use SSIS and this was a feature that I really missed having.

Currently using 8.7, but we're in the middle of an upgrade to 9.1.2
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Great question. It's hard to name just one. I've been using DataStage from version 3.5 (Ardent) up through version 11.3. I had the good fortune of skipping versions 8.0 and 8.1.

For me, the first would be the visual Designer GUI with drag 'n drop that the product was founded upon. With any job type, at a glance, you can quickly layout a job, and seeing anyone's jobs you can quickly understand the flow.

Second would be the genius of the parallel processing framework and the config file. It's simple and powerful at the same time. :wink:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

qt_ky wrote:I've been using DataStage from version 3.5 (Ardent)
With manuals that still said "VMark". :wink:

(oh wait, that was 3.1)
Last edited by chulett on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

The steep learning curve at the beginning pays multiple dividends ad infinitum. I had some previous limited experience with Visual Basic and Borland Delphi, and DS leaves them both in the dust.

Once I got familiar enough, DS is just all of what you expect from a RAD tool.

So, I'd have to say that the coolest feature is that it exists and I get to use it every day. :lol:

Started in 7.5, currently in 8.2 and in planning for 9.something.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I would have to say it's the parallel processing engine.

The ability to split the rows up to process at the same time, and merge them back together when need be is very powerfull.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think the learning curve is very short. The product is laid out like a person thinks. Grab it from here and send it to there. The GUI is great. I hate INFA because the way they separated a job into connections and transformations and flows. These are all one thing in my mind.

I have been learning Java lately. It is very similar. Grab some object get that working. Fix you imports. Then jump back into your core processing. The mind should not have to jump around like that.

If they ever get Metadata workbench like that where it flows from source to target or target back to source then it will be great too. It is much improved though. IBM will eventually get it right. When they do look out.
Mamu Kim
dsetlteam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsetlteam »

RCP,Propogate Values property,Multi Instance property,looping in transformer,range lookup.

Version - 9.1
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My favourite is the "Related Log" capability in Director client (Log View). One can traverse the logs from sequence to sub-sequence to job and back again without needing to switch back to status view and figure out which folder the other job is in. Saves a LOT of time when troubleshooting.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I think the coolest feature is that they keep adding features! Even better, most of the new features are useful!

Since my career has been fairly firmly tied to the product for many years, I'm very glad to that it continues to be an industry leader.

If I had to pick a particular feature, I'd still say it is the transformer itself. I know, very mundane, but I still marvel at the some of the complexities that can be accomplished without having to resort to programming.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
sirishds
Participant

Post by sirishds »

In most of the stages we have a flexibility to apply unix command,which i feel is very cool.

As per the new release 9.0.1 hadoop concept was introduced and handling JSON file format was also awersome,XML stages were revised.the above listed were something which i find intresting.

Sirish :)
saratha14
Participant

Re: What's the Coolest Feature of DataStage?

Post by saratha14 »

For me, the ds job report utility is the coolest one. You can just click and get the full details about the job which is amazing :D and it reduce lot of work on the documentation side of it.As a developer I've loved it. I am on datastage 8.0.1.

Thanks,
Saran
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

I started using DataStage from 7.5 version to 8.5.

I feel the best part of DataStage is the GUI and its simplicity.

Just out of college with not much programming background I was able to use it effectively in a couple of weeks (gaining deeper insight took considerable time though)

Also the Cross project compare is just splendid :)
- Zulfi
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

For me, it's the Monitor, Related Logs, and API.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Coolest. Tough question. There are sooo many. Great responses above, also.

...but if forced to make a choice, I'd have to say "Multi-Job Instancing"....that feature opened up a whole new paradigm for Job design and flexibility that also led to the creative load balancing that followed several years later in RTI/ISD.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>