Method to search across all sequence jobs in a project?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Method to search across all sequence jobs in a project?

Post by rjhankey »

Hi --

Is there a way to search for text within all sequence jobs in a project where we have DS (8x) installed on AIX? For example, I'm able to do a grep in /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/<ProjectName>/*SC*/*osh and I can find instances of where certain environment variables are used in parallel jobs.

From what I'm seeing, sequence jobs aren't stored in these directories under Projects/ , at least not in a text friendly fashion for the grep command.

What I'm trying to do is find all sequence jobs in the project where a particular user's email address was hard-coded in the notification stage. The advanced find option in Designer allows me to search short & long descriptions, but I don't believe it goes deep enough to allow me to search within the stages of the jobs for text.

Is this a reasonable task to undertake, has anyone else faced anything similar? Thanks in advance!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could always all Old School on it - export the project as a dsx and then search the exported project for your text. Once found you can work backwards from there to the beginning of the job definition to find the name / category.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We would routinely steal an export from the nightly backups and use a modified version of one of Chuck Smith's utilities to parse and then load it up into database tables. This allowed the searching to be done by SQL and let us know the source right away without any of that pesky back-tracking for the proper tagged entry. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhankey »

Ah ... yep, everything I need is in the .dsx file. I see what you mean about having to backtrack -- I see a possible quick and dirty solution if I FTP the .dsx over to AIX and use grep from there to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure I have the time and availability to go for the much more elegant solution of importing it into database tables, but I definitely see the usefulness in going that route!