RT_LOG Maintenance

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jonesv
Premium Member
Premium Member

RT_LOG Maintenance

Post by jonesv »

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to determine (query the xmeta repository?) what jobs in a given project have their job purge settings different than the project level settings. We currently have project level job purge settings to keep the previous two runs of logs. But I know that there are some jobs that override this project level setting. But we have thousands of jobs, and I was wondering if there was an easy way to tell which jobs override the project level settings.

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There are some utilities that Ken Bland posted once upon a time, some of which deal with purge settings. See if this helps or at least gets you a good starting point.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Eekk... 2 runs... you did explain to the developpers the potential impact to multi instance jobs I hope..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Each RT_LOGnnn hashed file that has non-default purge settings will have a record called //PURGE.SETTINGS. You can view this with

Code: Select all

LIST.ITEM RT_LOGnnn '//PURGE.SETTINGS'
or, from the command line

Code: Select all

$DSHOME/bin/UVread RT_LOGnnn //PURGE.SETTINGS
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

However, couldn't those "purge settings" match the default? Just trying to clarify the difference between them being non-default and actually different. Perhaps that's not an issue if all you care about are which ones have been 'overridden'.
-craig

jonesv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jonesv »

Thanks all! Paul, yes, our developers are aware of the impact on multi-instance jobs. And most of our non-default purge settings at the job level are on these multi-instance jobs. I just need to get a handle on what these are set at. I will check Mr. Bland's site for his utility....or write a script using the command line statement that Ray posted.

Thanks for your help! Greatly appreciated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

jonesv wrote:I will check Mr. Bland's site for his utility
He released the code here in the post I linked to. And several more, if I recall correctly, which a search by author could turn up. Not sure he maintains his site any longer nor allows any new access.
-craig

jonesv
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jonesv »

Gotcha. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The values in //PURGE.SETTINGS might be the same as default, which are stored in DSParams file in the project. It would be easy to check.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.