datastage jobs migration from 8.1 to 9.1

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deesh
Participant

datastage jobs migration from 8.1 to 9.1

Post by deesh »

Hi

Can any one help to me on migrating datastage jobs from 8.1 to 9.1 version, how to do migration on windows OS.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The topic is too big and the question a bit vague to know where to begin.

99% of porting from 8.1 to 9.1 will work seamlessly and flawlessly; perhaps even 100%. There is no need to convert your jobs as DataStage is designed to be backwards compatible.

Is this upgrade for an existing system in production? Do you need to ensure that output is identical between old and new? Do you have second maching for parallel testing?

These are just a couple of initial questions to get you thinking about what might need to be done. Once you know your requirements better you can then ask specific questions.
deesh
Participant

Post by deesh »

Hi,

At present we are developing jobs in 8.1 version, but we are planning to get 9.1 license.

So after completion of our development in 8.1 version, we are going to migrate this jobs directly into 9.1 datastage production server.

Migration : 8.1 (Development) to 9.1 (Production).

For this assignment, want to know the steps. :)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

1. Export from 8.1
2. Import into 9.1

Are you sticking with this configuration? Doing all of your development in an older version and then running the new version only in Production? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

chulett wrote:1. Export from 8.1
2. Import into 9.1
3. Recompile

Then Bob's Your Uncle ;)
deesh
Participant

Post by deesh »

Hi Craig,

So, There is no problem in migration from 8.1 to 9.1 just need to do like early version.

If is there please share with me, because i dont know the architecture of 9.1 version.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no big changes to the archtecture, except that you may choose to implement another database for the DataStage Operations Console.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jdinero
Participant

Post by jdinero »

I was told by IBM that certain functions behave different from 8.7 and 9.1. For sure, oconv and iconv have different parameters or something. I was also told to expect a significant performance hit for Server jobs from 8.7 to 9.1 (but not parallel jobs).

I am currently testing our 9.1 and running both 8.7 and 9.1 concurrently in unix.

Good luck,

Jennifer
-Jennifer
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

jdinero wrote:I was told by IBM that certain functions behave different from 8.7 and 9.1.
Can you get any more information about these? It's a terribly vague assertion not really backed up by "what's new in this release" documentation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'd be shocked if foundation functions like OConv and IConv changed in any 'breaking' manner. Perhaps they would add additional optional parameters or functionality but they would be doing themselves some major damage if those functions behave differently in any detrimental sense.

Do you have any details on that as well?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The architecture of 8.1 and 9.1 is the same but you do get some new free apps of information asset manager, blueprint director and operations console. These may require extra install steps if you want to use them. You can also move to 64 bit windows and you don't need the MKS emulation. You may be looking at a complete upgrade of IIS, operating system and database to get a faster engine.

If you have been paying your annual support then you do not need a new license, just go into passport advantage and download the latest version of the software.

There is a migration assistant but inmy experience it was easier to do a standard uninstall install import. Have a look at the operating system requirements for 9.1.
eph
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eph »

Hi,

I guess you are looking for that kind of documentation : technote 1459416.

I didn't found an updated version, but for example null handling has changed between 8.1 and 9.1 (in stage variables etc.), and some functions do not behave like in 8.1 (see the documentation about isvalid and its variable to revert to 8.1 behavior).

You may consider involving the ibm concierge program for your upgrade.

Eric
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Also if you are working on SAP Plugins then you might need to do some extra work on converting from CPIC to RFC. IBM provided a tool to do that but you may need to do some additional testing and fixing.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Those 4 points are, as you surmised, not specific to going from one version of DataStage to 9.1, but are NLS issues that are not version specific.
jdinero
Participant

Post by jdinero »

Ok, thanks.
-Jennifer