Sequence aborting prior to Notification Activity

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iq_etl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence aborting prior to Notification Activity

Post by iq_etl »

I've got a sequence that is as follows:

Job Activity -> Nested Condition -> Notification Activity

The Nested Condition is set so that if the status of from the Job Activity (which executes a DS parallel job) is greater than '1', then an email is sent from the Notification Activity.

This has been successful for statuses such as '2' (warnings). I will receive the email that one of my jobs ran but had warnings.

However, when the job in the Job Activity aborts (status = '3') then the whole sequence aborts and the Nested Condition nor Notification Activity executes. I don't receive an email.

How can I prevent the sequence from aborting if an activity within the sequence aborts? Is there a better way I could be sending abort emails?

Thanks!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You need to cater for a failed condition as well, not just for warnings. You could use a custom condition or an error link in your Job Activity, as on an error it won't even make it to the Nested condtion.

Optionally (and what I recommend doing as a "catch-all" for unanticipated errors) you can put an exception handler with a link to a notifications activity in your job.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would get rid of the Nested Condition and do two things: first link a RANOK trigger to a Sequencer, that gives you your graceful end of the line with an option to even log that fact, should you so desire. Then run an Otherwise trigger from the JA to the NA stage which will catch everything else.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers