No longer see Tabs: Properties and Columns on any ODBC Stage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

robinlg33
Premium Member
Premium Member

No longer see Tabs: Properties and Columns on any ODBC Stage

Post by robinlg33 »

I can no longer see the Properties and Columns tabs on any of my ODBC Stages for DB2 or Sql Server. I can logon to another machine and view them. I had issues with some other software and they had to refresh some ACTIVEX information (I know nothing about ACTIVEX) and I don't know if that messed it up or if it was even happening before then. Do you have any ideas on how this can be fixed? :( I have my help desk investigating but I thought I would give you all a shot.

Thank You,

Robin Gangler
Robin
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

To be specific, when you say "logon to another machine" do you mean login using a different PC, or connect to a different server from the same PC?
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
robinlg33
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by robinlg33 »

I went to another employee's PC (not my own) and logged into DataStage Dev as myself and I was able to view the tabs.

Do you think it may be something to do with the Client that is messed up? Do you think reinstalling DataStage to my machine would fix the problem?
Robin
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Yes, and Yes. It is probably faster to uninstall and reinstall the client than it is to try to diagnose the problem.

My only concern is the other application you were mentioning. If fixing that application "broke" DataStage, then fixing DataStage may re-break that application. Though it is rare, it is can be caused by a library or pathing conflict. You should take a snap-shot of your environment variables before you do anything, that way if the other application breaks, you might be able to identify what changed in the library or command paths.

I'd recommend uninstalling the client using the uninstaller (default is C:/IBM/InformationServer/_uninstall/uninstall.exe), then removing the InformationServer directory after the uninstall completes. If you have multiple versions installed make sure to delete the correct one!
Last edited by asorrell on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Perhaps you didn't get a patch pushed to your box. Validate your Version.xml with your buddys box.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

robinlg33 wrote:I went to another employee's PC (not my own) and logged into DataStage Dev as myself and I was able to view the tabs.
I had something similar before!! I was not able to see the Partition icons and stat in the Designer and that too for me. If i connected to some other machine i can!!

Then a fix provided by IBM fixed it.

So re installation(Proper, including reg) could help, but no warranty or guaranty for how long the re-installation will work!

Do reinstall, but at the same time launch a PMR and get the fix.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
robinlg33
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by robinlg33 »

Thank you all. I posed the solutions to the help desk and we'll see what they decide.
Robin
Robin
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Also you can make sure the registry entries are gone. I have seen such issues due to registry and also due to dll conflict. However my bets are on the registry.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

and by registry I mean entries related to datastage.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
robinlg33
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by robinlg33 »

Ok Thank You! I will let them know.
Robin
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

If you havent uninstalled your client , can you try right clicking on your stage and selecting 'Properties' - > it may open up .
robinlg33
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by robinlg33 »

I can open it but there is no longer a columns tab or a properties tab. I have hard coded SQL associated with the ODBC stages but can't get at it. If I run the job it runs as if the SQL is there.

I haven't heard from my help desk so not sure what solution they are going to come up with. :?
Robin
gulabi
Participant

Post by gulabi »

I have the same problem on my machine...
IBMs pages recognise this as a bug and suggest installing a patch to resolve the problem.. (Sorry I didnt keep track of the patch numbers etc..)

but, to temporarily resolve the problem, I run the following command, with admin rights:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 C:\IBM\InformationServer\Clients\Classic\ExGrid.dll
(also suggested as a temporary fix by IBM)
Can you try this and let us know if it resolves the problem?
robinlg33
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by robinlg33 »

Ok I'll pass this info on and see if the help desk will run. I will let you know if this works.

Thanks!
Robin
gulabi
Participant

Post by gulabi »

On the contrary, I was hoping you`ll be able to run this on your machine (the same machine having the problem)... and see if it helps resolve the problem temporarily.

Whatever solution you might find, I guess that will just be applied on your machine - since this is not an issue affecting the whole Datastage server.

if you dont have admin rights on your machine, you`ll still have to request your Help Desk to either run this command or find the right patch and install.. or completely uninstall the client and re-install.

Hope this helps.