Connect Higher Version Client to Lower version server

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jpraveen
Participant

Connect Higher Version Client to Lower version server

Post by jpraveen »

Hi

Can we Connect Higher version Datastage Client(8.7) to Lower Version DS server(7.5.x).

If yes, what are the compatiblity issues if we import the dsx and compile/run the jobs.
Jaypee
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, you cannot connect a 8.x client to a 7.x server. Sometimes one needs to change clients within a release as well, i.e. we have 8.7 here and wish to install the FixPack #2. The new clients in the fixpack are backwards compatible to a server without the fixpack, but I was told that the original 8.7 clients wouldn't work the fixpack-updated server.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And to complete this, you also cannot import a higher versioned export into a lower versioned server.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

ArndW wrote: but I was told that the original 8.7 clients wouldn't work the fixpack-updated server.
This is correct for 8.5 as well. If FP1 is installed on the server and not on client, you will be unable to compile the jobs having oracle connector stage with reject link. So its better to use the client with same Fix pack level as server else some issue will pop-up out of nowhere.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink: