FTP Stage changes behavoir under different ports

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MrBlack
Participant

FTP Stage changes behavoir under different ports

Post by MrBlack »

So I've notice that DataStage will change which protocol it's using in the FTP Stage depending on which port number is used in the "Remote FTP Port" field. Specifically if I leave the default port 21 the FTP stage works just fine and I can process my file. BUT if I change the port to 22 in the logs I see SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4. Not only does my file not process, DataStage loses control over the OS process and I have to log in over the console to kill the OS process. I can stop the job and even recompile and rerun the job but on the OS the OpenSSH will forever try to run until I kill the process through the console.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm going to do some more testing, like changing the port to 80 or 1234 to see what happens. To me it seems like DataStage should always try to use the FTP protocol independent of what port it needs to communicate over.

Remember I'm NOT on parallel and Linux is my host OS.

Secretly I'm hoping to find a way, even though my version of DataStage doesn't support SFTP, only FTP, that I'll be able to manipulate it so that I can do SFTP without have to just execute a bash script to do the SFTP part.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: FTP Stage changes behavoir under different ports

Post by chulett »

MrBlack wrote:To me it seems like DataStage should always try to use the FTP protocol independent of what port it needs to communicate over.
Sorry but this isn't a DataStage issue, just a lack of understanding of the role the port number plays in the process. You can't just change it willy-nilly as they are part of a standard controlled by the IANA as noted here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TC ... rt_numbers
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers