Operations Console EngAppMon Service Issue

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Operations Console EngAppMon Service Issue

Post by nvalia »

Hi All,

We are on Ds 8.7.0.1 on Windows 2008

We Installed Operations Console but had an issue in the EngAppMon service starting. It has been installed on SQl Server 2008 DB under the XMeta database as a seperate scheme (default schema of DSODB, we tried installing as a seperate database but it kept failing)

We found the SQL Error in the log file for EngAppMon, We had errors like below (we verified this column does exist in the table DSODB.JobRun where it is trying to Insert a record from the Event File)..

INSERT INTO DSODB.JobRun (RUNID,JOBID,InvocationId,CreationTimestamp,RunMajorStatus,RunMinorStatus,RunType,MasterPid,RunStartTimestamp,ISUsername,DSUsername,LastUpdateTimestamp) VALUES
(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?). Values: [-818487466168701192, 5550974994427117468, -, Fri Apr 12 13:03:46 EDT 2013, SUB, STR, RUN, 12496, Fri Apr 12 13:03:46 EDT 2013, abc, xxxxxxx/abc, Fri Apr 12 13:03:46 EDT 2013]
java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: [IBM][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer]Invalid column name 'ISUsername'.

So to try fix this, as per the manual I changed the property EMAAllowSQLErrors=1 (default 0) in the DSODBTuning.cfg configuration file..Now the service is running and I see the Operations Console but it is not providing any information and I see "Sorry, an Error Occured" under the JobActivity, Operating System Resources and Memory Pane..

I do see an error now in the odbqapp.log file as, although this table exists as well
java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: [IBM][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer]Invalid object name 'DSODB.JOBRUN'.

**** All Services are showing as OK in the Operations Console ****

Has anyone seen something similar..any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks
NV
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Either your ODS database wasn't setup correctly, or its a bug in the SQL Server setup scripts where at least two of the required columns are missing. Allowing it to skip the error doesn't resolve the problem because the columns are fairly critical ones.

Did you (or your DBA) run the setup scripts for the ODS? If so, and there were no errors, then this is one where I'd say "call the support provider (IBM)".
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvalia »

No we did not find any errors when we ran the scripts as per steps listed in the readme.txt.

Yes I know skipping the Errors will not help but was just trying to bring all the services up and see if we see anythign in the Operations Console!!

The Username we use for the generate_ddl.cmd is NOT a Windows user exists but only on SQL Server..
Does this user need to be a underlying OS (Windows) user?

Thanks,
NV
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I would think it would only need to be a valid SQL Server user-id.
Last edited by asorrell on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvalia »

This IBM link for Operations Console says so..hence it is confusing

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iisin ... ngodb.html

generate_ddl.cmd HostServerName DatabaseName UserName existingwhere

◦HostServerName is the name of the server to create the database in.

◦DatabaseName is the name of the database to create or add to.

◦DatafilePath is the location where the data and log files are created. This location must be an existing path. Do not add a trailing slash or backslash to the path name. For example, c:\datapath.

◦UserName is the name of an Windows user that you intend to configure to access the operations database.
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvalia »

The User DOES NOT need to be a Windows User. A valid SQL Server User is enough and works fine.

I cleaned up the earlier Install using the DSODB_SetUp_Remove.sql and reran all the steps as listed for setting up the Operations Console and it worked w/o any issues.

We created a new Database for it that was not under the existing XMeta database (as recommended by IBM)

Thanks,
Nv
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

We have successfully set up Ops Console with v 8.7 with SQL Server hosting the ops db on a separate database for it. Do not use an existing database. The same server also hosts xmeta and iadb. Did not install Quality Stage - so no Match Designer DB :(