How Long Does it Take to learn Datastage for ETL project

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ingcariere
Participant

How Long Does it Take to learn Datastage for ETL project

Post by ingcariere »

Hi,
Im new in Datastage, I want know how much time in general I need to learn Datastage for an ETL project, one week ? a month ? a year ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome.

That's a pretty wide open question and can depend quite a bit on the person. It can also depend on how much "computer" experience (programming, UNIX, scripting, etc) you've had and if you've used a different ETL tool before. I'd say in general that it doesn't take much time to "learn" an ETL tool, DataStage included. You can get a good foundation in a week with the proper setting, say like an official class. And then you can spend the rest of your career learning new or subtle things. :wink:

Assuming (again) that 'proper setting' with a mentor and actual work to do, you'll know if someone is picking things up in... oh, a month or two. Left to ones own devices? Hard to say in that case.

My two cents.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chandra.shekhar@tcs.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chandra.shekhar@tcs.com »

As Ray said, there's no straight forward answer to that.
I think it takes atleast 4-5 months to have good knowledge about datastage. Obviously practical knowledge is a must.
It also depends upon the grasping power of the person.
I have 4 years exp in datastage and I still consider myself in the learning phase.
Thanx and Regards,
ETL User
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

I had the privilege of taking the advanced course from Ray Daignault. As a rule of thumb, I take his word for it: one should have at least six months of full-time experience with DS before taking the advanced course.

The tool is flexible and powerful. I don't expect to know anything close to everything... but I'm having a very good time trying to get there. :)
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've been working with DataStage since 1995 and I'm still learning things about it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I haven't touched it for 3 years and I'm still learning new things. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

16+ years with it and learning new things every day...

I like what Craig said up above. You can be pretty "dangerous" with it in just a couple of days, or a week...but it depends on so many other things...the sources and targets you have, the kinds of transformations you need to do, the structures of the data you are reading and writing, their datatypes, the performance requirements (or not), your background, etc. etc. etc.

Dive in and have fun...and find a mentor. ...and don't hesitate to "play". Build test jobs all the time...test your theories and those you read about here and elsewhere....break down your larger jobs that aren't working into smaller ones and understand how each piece works.....etc.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

I haven't touched it for 3 years too, but I am forgetting things rapidly ;-(.