All business projects into only one dsproject???

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mchaves
Participant

All business projects into only one dsproject???

Post by mchaves »

Hi Everyone,
Just want to get some insights and opinions from the ds developers here.

We are currently working on datastage migration from v6.0 to 8.7 and we are about to make a few decisions that would be hard to back out if they turn out to be wrong.

The main decision to be made is to wether or not to create only one dsproject and import all jobs (1000+) from different business areas (14) into this project.

Personally, my experience has been around working with one separate dsproject per business project and that seems to be the way other sites choose to follow. I'd like see if there's anyone in this forum that had this experience before and can highlight the issues we may encounter if we take this aproach.

Thanks in advance.
A bad fishing day is much better than a great day at work
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Depending on the operating system there may be a limit on the number of subdirectories that you can have in a directory. Since each DataStage job creates up to ten subdirectories, this is straightaway a potential limit on the number of jobs you could have in a project on those operating systems. That would be the primary reason I'd advocate multiple projects over one.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

There is one more thing to evaluate beforehand: If you have been working with fourteen DataStage-projects under 6.x, You have to make sure that there are no duplicates on object-names in your repositories (jobs, routines, etc.).

DataStage 8.x gives You more options concerning organizational aspects like folder-naming etc., but it still does not allow to have two jobs with the same name in two different folders. So You would have to make sure which version of a job that exists in different versions in different projects you want to keep.

Actually, if you have organized all Your work in fourteen different projects in previous versions of DataStage, I would not overcomplicate the migration-process by consolidating projects during migration. I'd opt for migrating the projects as they are and then decide to consolidate projects -where sensible - after everything is in place. As I said: it is far easier to organize the objects to be consolidated on the new platform.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon